About This Masters Degree
The Master in Luxury Goods Management - EMLUX is aimed at those students who wish to begin their career path in the luxury industry, a sector that requires both an understanding of the process of creativity and a solid managerial approach in order to succeed in an international multifaceted environment. With a concrete approach, EMLUX allows you to understand the peculiar logic and strategies of luxury companies, who master the ability to craft products that are desired by clients worldwide.
Learning objectivesStarting from the necessary cultural foundations of luxury and the understanding of the utmost importance of craftsmanship and of the Métiers d’Art which are vital for this industry, EMLUX proceeds to unravel the managerial tools that dominate the functions of a luxury company, with a particular focus on brand and marketing management, communication, retail, finance and accounting, which are key to obtain economic stability and long term growth. Our cross-functional approach is the key for future managers who need to understand the implications and impact of company decisions.
Career opportunities & professional recognitionEMLUX allows you to acquire an overview of all the different functions of a luxury company so you will be able to under- stand the peculiarities of the companies that operate in this sector and choose the path for the professional growth that best suits your interests and passions.
Participants will therefore be exposed to the fundamentals needed to start the following careers:
● Marketing or brand manager
● Product manager
● Licensing manager
● Retail/wholesale manager
● Communication manager
● Area manager
Curriculum● Luxury: definition, environment and characteristics – introductory course
● Sociocultural analysis of luxury
● Human resource management & business organization
● Cross cultural management & organization
● Marketing management
● Brand management
● Global integrated marketing communication
● Research techniques in the luxury industry
● Accounting, financial management and performance measurement
● Pricing and retail in the luxury industry
● Sales and customer relationship management
● Legal issues
● Supply chain strategy and network design
● Manufacturing, distribution & operations
● Product design and development
● Innovation & trends
● Basic Chinese plus either Italian or French language courses
The teaching method is based upon lessons, case analyses, company visits and presentations, group and individual work sessions, out-of class assignments and finalized by a Project Work with a practical approach to a managerial issue pertaining to the luxury industry. To complete the perspective on the luxury environment EMLUX activities include visits such as Baglietto (yachts), Damiani (jewellery), Van Cleef&Arpels (jewellery), Atelier Pino Grasso (fashion), Excelsior (concept store), etc.
Session in ParisIn addition, true to its international vocation, EMLUX has developed a session in Paris, France, with a focus on French luxury that during the past edition was in collaboration with the University of Sciences-Po. The session included not only lectures by French brands such as Lanvin and Chloé, but also a focus on the Champagne and jewellery market, with a visit to the Van Cleef&Arpels atelier and boutique.
Partner companiesEMLUX has been developed in collaboration with the Cologni Foundation of the Métiers d’Art and with the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie.
Faculty & teaching staffThe following have lectured in the Master:
● Paolo Balistrieri, Head of Anti-counterfeiting for Southern Europe at Louis Vuitton Mallettier- LVMH Fashion Group
● Christopher Berry, author of The Idea of Luxury: a Conceptual and Historical Investigation
● Davide Castelvero, head of CRM Bottega Veneta
● Alberto Cavalli, Lifestyle and Luxury Goods Correspondent by Vedomosti, the leading Russian financial newspaper
● Michel Chevalier Professor at University Paris Dauphine; author of Luxury Brand Management, Luxury China: Opportunities and Market potential and Luxury Retail Management
● Marco De Angeli, Clients and External Relations Director at ABC
● Alberto Festa, President of Bulgari USA
● Pino Grasso, Haute Couture Embroiderer winner of the Prix Talent du Luxe et de la Création of the Centre du Luxe et de la Création Paris
● Paola Leoni, Founder and Managing Partner at Corporate Advisors
● Matteo Marzotto, President of Fiera di Vicenza, former CEO of Valentino and Vionnet
● Uché Okonkwo Executive Director at Luxe Corp, author of Luxury Fashion Branding and Luxury Online: Styles, Systems, Strategies
● Carl Rohde, Head of Science of the Times, Professor of trend-watching at Fontys University of Applied Sciences
● Andrea Rossi, CFO of Valextra
● Stefano Turconi, Sloan Fellow and Strategy Research Associate at London Business School
● Alessandro Varisco, General Manager of Moschino
International environmentEMLUX full-time, now in its third edition, is taught entirely in English by an international faculty to an international class of students. A key element to compete in the luxury environment that is international by nature and definition.
Cross-functional approachOur program allows students not only to study all company functions through the lens of a company operating in the particular environment of luxury goods, but also to explore different sectors from fashion to jewelery & watches to yachts to accessories.
Leading professional facultyOur program’s approach is aimed at teaching concrete strategies and tools.
Our faculty, which is a mix of academics and professionals from the luxury industry, is the ideal setup to obtain this objective.
Focus on luxuryAll of the courses focus on both the peculiar strategies and approach of luxury companies in terms of marketing, communication, sales and retail, product development, customer care and operations, which differ highly from those of mass market goods.
ScholarshipsAll scholarships are assigned on a merit basis and will be mostly given to students who apply by the priority deadline. Some scholarships may also target specific geographic regions.
Scholarship value: €5000
Master in Luxury Goods Management
page on the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore website for more details!
Entry requirements include completion of an undergraduate degree, obtained after a minimum of 3 years of study (180 ECTS). The undergraduate degree must be obtained before the start of the program. Università Cattolica will evaluate candidates’ academic and personal background and decide if they meet the specific conditions for admission. Language proficiency: Applicants whose first language is not English will need to have either TOEFL iBT overall score of at least 80; or Academic IELTS overall score of at least 6.0; or Successfully completed a degree program taught in the English language.
€10000 until 15.04.17, €11000 from then on