Why study PGCE Primary?
St Mary's aim to teach and learn alongside creative, reflective and dynamic practitioners who are committed to teaching.
The programme encourages students to increase their understanding of teaching and learning processes in order to develop and maintain the high levels of enthusiasm, ability and passion necessary within the teaching profession.
The University looks for those who wish to learn from challenges and seek a higher capacity to know more.
• Full-time X100 (One year)
• Part-time X103 (18 months)
• PE Specialism 2TYR (One year)
Why St Mary's
The Primary PGCE programme provides an intense training experience which combines academic rigour with personal and professional learning experiences. The training is designed to meet the needs of each trainee to support and develop the skills, knowledge and attributes needed to start a teaching career.
In preparation for your teaching role, you will be trained across the 5-11 age range, developing knowledge and practice to support your development of:
• Critical understanding of educational theory.
• Reflective practice linked to professional standards.
• Practitioner research and a wide range of educational issues to understand the unique characteristics of children and their learning needs.
• Subject specific knowledge and creative ways to enthuse and educate children.
St Mary’s Primary and Secondary Initial Education courses have been judged by Ofsted, the government department that regulates teacher training, to be ‘outstanding’ - the highest grade attainable in an OfSTED inspection.
The courses were deemed to be outstanding for both ‘overall effectiveness’ and the ‘capacity for further improvement and/or sustaining overall quality’ following the inspection, which was conducted in March 2011.
What You Will Study
Full information about modules on this course can be found on the St Mary’s website: http://www.stmarys.ac.uk/pgce/primary/structure.htm
How To Applyhttp://www.stmarys.ac.uk/pgce/apply.htm