Solent’s MA Professional Practice programme is designed to allow both academic and non-academic staff to pursue master’s level study alongside their work at the University. Learners will look at ongoing debates, conflicts and challenges within their area of expertise, evaluating the literature and balancing the need to be reasoned with the need to be creative when solving complex problems.
- Solent’s postgraduate professional practice programme is the ideal way to top up your existing postgraduate qualifications into a full master’s degree.
- Flexible study option ensures that students can fit the course around full-time employment.
- Students reflect on their area of professional practice and plan their own continued professional development.
- The course concludes with a work-based business report, consultancy project or research dissertation.
- Students are assigned a final project supervisor who can offer advice and support throughout the process.
- Students develop a range of transferable skills in group working, presentation, research and critical thinking.
The course consists of two units (total 60 credits):
- Research Methods, Project and Research Skills (15 credits)
- Work-Based Business Report, Consultancy Project or Research Dissertation (45 credits).
Programme specification document - http://mycourse.solent.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=6152
Teaching, learning and assessment -
The course is taught in small groups with one-to-one support for the business report.
Work experience -
This course is aimed at University staff so there is no work experience. However, you’ll have the opportunity to link learning to your work and career throughout the course.
Assessment is through coursework.
Web-based learning -
Solent’s virtual learning environment provides quick online access to assignments, lecture notes, suggested reading and other course information.
What do we offer?
From a vibrant city centre campus to our first class facilities, this is where you can find out why you should choose Solent.
Facilities - http://www.solent.ac.uk/about/facilities/facilities.aspx
City living - http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/southampton/living-in-southampton.aspx
Accommodation - http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/accommodation/accommodation.aspx
The course is well suited to professionals within the University (both academic and non-academic staff). It will support your professional development and enhance your career prospects.
Transferable skills -
During the course, you’ll develop your reflective writing, research and critical-thinking skills, along with experience in presentation and group work.
The tuition fees for the 2016/2017 academic year are:
UK and EU part-time fees: £1,545 per year
International part-time fees £5,630 per year
Graduation costs -
Graduation is the ceremony to celebrate the achievements of your studies. For graduates in 2015, there is no charge to attend graduation, but you will be required to pay for the rental of your academic gown (approximately £42 per graduate, depending on your award). You may also wish to purchase official photography packages, which range in price from £15 to £200+. Graduation is not compulsory, so if you prefer to have your award sent to you, there is no cost.
For more details, please visit: http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/graduation/home.aspx
With expert support, flexible curriculums and a range of study options to suit your working schedule, Southampton Solent University
’s MA Professional Practice programme is the ideal way to top up your existing qualification into a full master’s degree.