Ready to take your career to the next level? Southampton Solent’s project management master’s programme is a professionally tailored course aligned to the Association for Project Management’s Body of Knowledge. You’ll study the methodologies, techniques and processes of project management at a globally-accredited institution and gain sought-after PRINCE2® Practitioner and Agile Project Management™ qualifications.
- The course is delivered by a team of academics with strong links to the project management profession and the wider industry.
- Southampton Solent is the only university in the UK to offer and combine internationally recognised PRINCE2® Practitioner and Agile Project Management™ Practitioner accreditation opportunities.
- The course content aligns with requirements for the Association for Project Management’s (APM) Body of Knowledge.
- Students can convert any existing PRINCE2® Practitioner or Agile Project Management™ Practitioner accreditation into credits towards this MSc.
- The University has strong links to APMG-International, ensuring the course team and students are kept fully up to date with current trends in project management.
- The course concludes with a research methods unit and a dissertation.
- For the research project, students identify their own research topic and explore the application of various management and research methods.
- For their dissertation, students will have the opportunity to undertake in-depth study of an issue which is of personal interest and is related to the overall objectives of the project management course.
The industry -
According to the Project Management Institute (2015), 80 per cent of organisations understand the value of strong project managers in a bid to reduce the money wasted on poorly managed projects. Reflecting this, the project management profession is expanding dramatically with an estimated 1.5 million additional roles expected to be created globally every year until 2020.
Studying on Southampton Solent’s project management master’s degree course can leave students well placed for a wide variety of careers in national or international businesses across all sectors.
The programme -
The course is split into eight distinct units, divided into three levels of postgraduate qualification. To find out more about the content of each specific unit, please see the ‘course content’ tab.
As well as helping to equip students with specialised project management skills, the course also encourages the development of leadership abilities, financial acumen and people management techniques. Students will gain a general understanding of governance, develop management accounting skills, and explore the methodology behind the world’s most popular project management qualification, PRINCE2®.
Students will also examine the structures and processes necessary for any organisation to deliver a project effectively, explore the theories that have created advances in the fields of organisational behaviour, human resource management and leadership, and learn the Agile Project Management methodology, specifically the proven DSDM Atern framework.
Teaching, learning and assessment -
The course is taught via workshop/structured learning, group activities, individual exercises, independent learning and work-related learning.
Assessment formats include presentations, written assignments, exams, reports, projects, vivas and dissertations.
What do we offer?
From a vibrant city centre campus to our first class facilities, this is where you can find out why you should choose Solent.
Facilities - http://www.solent.ac.uk/about/facilities/facilities.aspx
City living - http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/southampton/living-in-southampton.aspx
Accommodation - http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/accommodation/accommodation.aspx
According to the Project Management Institute (PMI) and Anderson Economic Group, 1.5m additional project management roles will be created globally every year until 2020.
Following this course, you will be well placed for a variety of careers in a wide variety of sectors.
Links with industry -
This course has input from the Association of Project Managers (APM) and is aligned to the APM Body of Knowledge. The University also has strong links with APMG-International to identify current trends in project management.
Transferable skills -
You will develop a range of transferable skills, encompassing group working, presentation, research and analysis, working to deadlines and applying knowledge to real-world scenarios.
The tuition fees for the 2016/2017 academic year are:
UK and EU full-time fees: £5,665
International full-time fees: £12,380
UK and EU part-time fees: £2,835 per year
International part-time fees: £6,190 per year
Graduation costs -
Graduation is the ceremony to celebrate the achievements of your studies. For graduates in 2015, there is no charge to attend graduation, but you will be required to pay for the rental of your academic gown (approximately £42 per graduate, depending on your award). You may also wish to purchase official photography packages, which range in price from £15 to £200+. Graduation is not compulsory, so if you prefer to have your award sent to you, there is no cost.
For more details, please visit: http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/graduation/home.aspx
Think you’ve got what it takes to succeed in project management? With its close alignment to the APM’s Body of Knowledge and incorporation of PRINCE2 and Agile PM qualifications, Southampton Solent’s project management master’s degree can help you gain the competitive edge in your career.