Master in Business Analytics: Architecture, Data Exploration and Optimization”, accredited by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research, draws on the recognized excellence of our engineering school in business intelligence and has grown from the specializations in Decision Support, Business Intelligence and Business Analytics. The Master is primarily going to appeal to international students, "free movers" or those from our partner universities or for high-potential foreign engineers who are looking for an international career in the domain of Business Analytics.
This program leads to a Master degree and a Diplôma accredited by the French Ministry of Higher Education and research.
Business Intelligence and now Business Analytics have become key elements of all companies.
The objective of this Master is to train specialists in information systems and decision support, holding a large range of mathematic- and computer-based tools which would allow them to deal with real problems, analyzing their complexity and bringing efficient algorithmic and architectural solutions. Big Data is going to be the Next Big Thing over the coming 10 years.
The targeted applications concern optimization in the processing of large amounts of data (known as Big Data), logistics, industrial automation, but above all it’s the development of BI systems architecture. These applications have a role in most business domains: logistics, production, finance, marketing, client relation management.
The need for trained engineering specialists in these domains is growing constantly: recent studies show a large demand of training in these areas.
Distinctive points of this course
• The triple skill-set with architecture (BI), data mining and business resource optimization.
• This master will be run by a multidisciplinary group: statistics, data mining, operational research, architecture.
• The undertaking of interdisciplinary projects.
• The methods and techniques taught in this program come from cutting-edge domains in industry and research, such as: opinion mining, social networks and big data, optimization, resource allocation and BI systems architecture.
• The Master is closely backed up by research: several students are completing their end-of-studies project on themes from the [email protected]
laboratory, followed and supported by members from the laboratory (PhD students and researcher teachers).
• The training on the tools used in industry dedicated to data mining, operational research and Business Intelligence gives the students a plus in their employability after completion.
• Industrial partnerships with companies very involved in Big Data have been developed:
• SAS via the academic program and a ‘chaire d’entreprise’ (business chair), allowing our students access to Business Intelligence modules such as Enterprise Miner (data mining) and SAS-OR (in operational research).
The Master’s degree counts for 120 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) in total and lasts two years. The training lasts 1252 hours (611 hours in M1 and 641 hours in M2). The semesters are divided as follows:
• M1 courses take place from September until June and count for a total of 60 ECTS
• M2 courses take place from September until mid-April and count for a total of 42ECTS
• A five-month internship (in France) from mid- April until mid- September for 9 ECTS is required and a Master thesis for 9 ECTS.
Non-French speakers will be asked to participate to a one week intensive French course that precedes the start of the program and allows students to gain the linguistic knowledge necessary for daily interactions.
M1 modules are taught from September to June (60 ECTS, 611 h)
• Data exploration
• Inferential Statistics (3 ECTS, 30h, 1 S*)
• Data Analysis (2 ECTS, 2h, 1 S)
• Mathematics for Computer science
• Partial Differential Equations and Finite Differences (3 ECTS, 30h, 1 S)
• Operational Research: Linear Optimization (2 ECTS, 20h, 1 S)
• Combinatory Optimization (2 ECTS, 18h, 1 S)
• Complexity theory (1 ECTS, 9h, 1 S)
• Simulation and Stochastic Process (3 ECTS, 30h, 2 S**)
• Introduction to Predictive Modelling (2ECTS, 21h, 2 S)
• Deterministic and Stochastic Optimization (3 ECTS, 30h, 2 S)
• Introduction to Data Mining (2 ECTS, 21h, 2 S)
• Software and Architecture
• Object-Oriented Modelling (OOM) with UML (3 ECTS, 30h, 1 S)
• Object-Oriented Design and Programming with Java (2 ECTS, 30h, 1 S)
• Relational Database: Modelling and Design (3ECTS, 30h, 1 S)
• PLSQL (2 ECTS, 21h, 2 S)
• Architecture and Network Programming (3 ECTS, 30h, 2 S)
• Parallel Programming (3 ECTS, 30h, 2 S)
• Engineering Science
• Signal and System (3 ECTS, 21 h, 1 S)
• Signal processing (3 ECTS, 30h, 1 S)
• Research Initiation
• Scientific Paper review (1 ECTS, 9h, 1 S)
• Final research project on BIG DATA (5 ECTS, 50h, 2 S)
• Project Management
• AGIL Methods & Transverse Project (2 ECTS, 21h, 2 S)
• Languages and workshops
• French and Foreign languages (6 ECTS, 61h, 1&2 S)
• Personal and Professional Project (1 ECTS, 15, 1 S)
*1 S= 1st semester, ** 2 S= 2nd semester
M2 Program: from September to September (60 ECTS, 641h)
M2 level is a collection of modules, giving in total 60 ECTS (42 ECTS for the modules taught from September to April, plus 9 ECTS for the internship and 9 ECTS for the Master thesis).
• Web Services (3 ECTS, 24h, 1 S)
• NOSQL (2 ECTS, 20h, 1 S)
• Java EE (3 ECTS, 24, 1S)
• Semantic web and Ontology (2 ECTS, 20h, 1 S)
• Data mining: application (2 ECTS, 20h, 1S)
• Social Network Analysis (2ECTS, 18h, 1S)
• Collective intelligence: Web Mining and Multimedia indexation (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
• Enterprise Miner SAS (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
• Text Mining and natural language (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
• Thorough operational research: modelling and business application (2 ECTS, 21h, 1 S)
• Game theory (1 ECTS, 10h, 1 S)
• Forecasting models (2 ECTS, 20h, 1 S)
• Constraint programming (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
• Multi-objective and multi-criteria optimisation (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
• SAS OR (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
Research Initiation Initiative
• Scientific Paper review (1 ECTS, 10h, 1 S)
• Final research project on BIG DATA (2 ECTS, 39, 2 S)
• BI Theory (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
• BI Practice (2 ECTS, 20h, 2 S)
Languages and workshops (4 ECTS, 105h, 1&2 S)
• French as a Foreign language
• CV workshop
• Personal and Professional Project
• Internship (9 ECTS, 22 weeks minimum)
• Master thesis (9 ECTS, 150h)
Fourteen external teachers (lecturers from universities, teacher-researchers, professors etc.), supported by a piloting committee, will bring together the training given in Cergy.
All the classes will be taught in English, with the exception of:
• The class of FLE (French as a foreign language), where the objective is to teach the students how to understand and express themselves in French.
• Cultural Openness, where the objective is to enrich the students’ knowledge of French culture.
offers an e-learning site to all its students, which complements everything the students will learn through their presence and participation in class:
• class documents, practical work and tutorials online
• questions and discussions between teachers and students, and among students
• a possibility of handing work in online
All Master’s students are equipped with a laptop for the duration of the program that remains the property of the EISTI
This Master's degree is for students who hold a Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or equivalent or for high-potential engineers who are looking for an international career in the domain of business analytics, business intelligence or big data. The applicants who meet the requirements for M1 can be admitted directly to M2.
Application fees: 50EUR. The tuition fees are 14,000EUR (7,000EUR per year).