SOAS MA in Gender Studies is unique in that it refocuses issues of Western Gender Studies on the complex specificities of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Drawing on the expertise of staff across all SOAS faculties, it offers the specialised study of gender in relation to Asian, African and Middle Eastern cultures, together with rigorous training in and questioning of contemporary gender theory.
The MA in Gender Studies will be administered by the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences. Like the MA Area Studies programmes, it will not have a specific departmental home, reflecting its academic structure as an interdisciplinary degree.
You will gain an invaluable insight into issues of gender and develop a breadth of knowledge of the multifaceted nature of the subject through different critical perspectives and socio-political backgrounds.
Students will have access to a wealth of study resources available in the SOAS Library and in nearby institutions such as the British Library, University College London Library and Senate House Library.
The SOAS MA in Gender Studies will appeal to students with a variety of backgrounds and objectives:
• those coming from Women's Studies or Gender Studies who wish to engage more deeply with gender theory in relation to regional specialisation, especially, but not exclusively, the societies of Asia, Africa and the Middle East;
• those coming from Asian, African or Middle Eastern Studies who wish to incorporate the study of gender into their own areas of expertise; and
• those having previously trained in particular disciplines, such as Anthropology, Cultural and Media Studies, Religious Studies, Comparative Literature, History, Politics, etc.
A global perspective
Studying Gender Studies at SOAS University of London
enhances your learning experience by giving you a global perspective. Our MA programme is unique in that it offers a rigorous and specialised study of gender across the world and you will be encouraged to question contemporary gender theory.
Depending on courses selected, you can choose the following pathways:
• Specialised research training MA in Gender Studies – ideal if you are contemplating advanced postgraduate research in Gender Studies with regional specialisation.
• A broad MA programme if you have a background in Women's/ Gender/ Area Studies etc. and you are seeking to enhance your knowledge of gender in relation to cross-cultural issues.
• A special interest MA, enabling you to study in depth gender issues in relation to a particular regional or disciplinary specialisation, e.g. Gender in the Middle East, Gender in Music etc.
Expert at where the world is changing
Drawing on the expertise of staff across SOAS, the programme will give you the opportunity to engage with academics who make a significant contribution to the field. An example of one of our many research projects is our partnership with Power2youth: http://www.power2youth.eu/project#sthash.3HdEUFiM.dpuf
The project, funded under the European Commission’s 7th Framework Programme, is in its third year and explores the dynamics of youth exclusion and the prospects for youth transformative agency through an interdisciplinary and gender-sensitive approach in the South East Mediterranean region.
Format and assessment
The programme is structured in the same way as most SOAS MA degrees: students take three taught units and complete a dissertation.
All students take the compulsory course Gender Theory and the Study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Further options include a wide range of gender and gender-related courses from a comprehensive list offered by the Faculties of Languages and Cultures and Arts and Humanities. Students will write a 10,000 word dissertation based on either the compulsory course or one of the component courses.
Postgraduate Open Evenings
You’ll be able to have one-to-one discussions with academics and current students. You can also attend specialist subject talks and take a tour of our campus.
Book now: http://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/pg/openevenings/
Our webinars give you an opportunity to hear and ask questions about the subject you’re interested in studying. We also cover topics such as making an application, Tier 4 Visa entry, fees and funding, scholarships, accommodation options as well as career related information.
Book now: https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/pg/webinars/
How to apply
Find out how to apply here: http://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/pg/howtoapply/