The emergence of the internet and digital culture has affected all societies, albeit unevenly. This programme explores the global dimensions of digital culture, focusing on digital creativity and practices in the global South. Students are taught to understand the historical development of digital technologies and the internet, exploring their impact and meaning in diverse economic, political and cultural realms. They study contemporary theories of the digital and consider their adequacy for understanding the non-Western world, while developing knowledge of a range of research tools for understanding the internet, social media and big data.
Students are encouraged to develop arguments about the global dimensions of digital culture in written and oral forms. In addition, they explore the shifting lines between theory and practice by becoming digital adepts, developing collective and individual blogs and acquiring other digital multi-media skills.
The programme is designed for those wishing to be active in the growing digital culture markets in the global South; personnel working for NGOs and other organizations involved in new media and development; policymakers for digital innovation; and diplomats faced with new digital diplomacy. It is an excellent platform for those wishing to undertake MPhil/PhD research on global digital cultures.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4422
Visit the website http://www.soas.ac.uk/media-studies/ma-global-digital-cultures/
Two Compulsory Units:
- Theoretical Issues in Global Digital Cultures - 15PMSC006 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Dissertation in Global Digital Cultures - 15PMSC994 (1 Unit) - Full Year
Courses in Media Studies:
- Studies in Global Digital Cultures - 15PMSH029 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- International Political Communication - 15PMSH009 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Mediated Culture in the Middle East: Politics and Communications - 15PMSH003 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- The Transnational News Environment: Production, Representation and Use - 15PMSH006 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Transnational Communities and Diasporic Media:Networking, Connectivity, Identity - 15PMSH004 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2
- Theoretical Issues in Media and Cultural Studies - 15PMSH005 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Studies in Global Media and Post-National Communication - 15PMSH007 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Qualitative Research Methods - 15PMSC033 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- The Centre is unique in the UK in its focus on media in the Global South. It offers an eclectic mix of postgraduate degrees whose non-Eurocentric approach offers fresh directions to examining the contemporary world.
- A dedicated team of full time staff members who are research active, focusing on different aspects of communications, culture, society and critical media theory in the Middle East, Asia and Africa.
- Staff members regularly appear in the media as guests and commentators on various contemporary issues and themes depending on their regional expertise.
- Alumni go onto high profile careers in the media, in NGO and Think Tanks and academic research.
- The centre has broad links with the media industry in the UK and the Global South
- External examiners have consistently remarked positively on the outstanding quality of the students' work
The Centre for Media Studies is unique in the world in its focus on the media and communication landscapes of Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. We study the contemporary world and its historical roots, and are committed to upend, theoretically and empirically, the Western-centric orientation that still pervades media studies scholarship. The research of our award-winning faculty spans media in the Arab world, critical theory and cultural studies, transnational news and India and digital technologies in the Global South.
Research underpins our teaching: students receive a rigorous grounding in their chosen MA and are encouraged to take optional courses across the School of Art and the university to build a degree that truly reflects their interests and goals.
Find out how to apply here - http://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/pg/howtoapply/