The programme gives you the opportunity to critically examine the theoretical bases of science in understanding sport and exercise, the assessment methods and their practical application within physiology, psychology and biomechanics.
This programme will enable you to gain a critical appreciation of a multi-disciplinary approach to contemporary issues in sport and exercise science, along with the assessment of performance and support for the exerciser and athlete. You will be equipped to critically analyse and evaluate complex and specialised assessment and support techniques in sport and exercise, and to select the most appropriate methods for clients from one (or all) of the disciplines of biomechanics, physiology and psychology.
In helping you build on your practical skills, the course will enable students to understand the relationships between theoretical concepts and current techniques of assessment and support, through a range of practice-based learning and assessment where you will benefit from the feedback of staff and peers. This course will give you opportunities to gain knowledge and understanding in applied ways in relation to sport and exercise science field.
You will also have the opportunity to conduct independent research project with the support and supervision from our staff. You will have access to the state-of-the-art facilities in our Sport and Exercise Research Centre.
Visit the website: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/postgraduate-courses/sport-and-exercise-science/index.html
You will be able to select a range of modules from the three key disciplines in the programme, psychology, biomechanics and physiology, with a wide selection of optional modules and the chance to undertake your own research in an area that interests you.
Key modules will look at traditional, contemporary and innovative approaches in the disciplines for understanding, evaluating, and supporting clients. Other modules on offer allow you to study more in-depth knowledge and its application in sport and exercise science, such as nutrition, psychology of sport performance, neuromuscular function, and human gait.
Here are examples of modules:
- Physiological Assessment
- Biomechanical Measurement and Technology
- Approaches to Psychological Support
- Nutritional Aspects of Exercise and Sport Performance
- Psychology of Sport and Performance
Pathways include teaching, coaching, sport public relations and promotion, sports consultant, lecturer or further academic study.
Why study at Roehampton?
• Recent placements we have offered our students have included posts at leading sporting organisations including Chelsea Football Club, Harlequins Rugby Club and the Lawn Tennis Association
• Benefit from excellent access to state-of-the-art laboratory facilities in which you can conduct your research.
• Examine critically the theoretical bases of assessment methods and their practical application within physiology, psychology and biomechanics.
• Roehampton is ranked best modern university in London (Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015).
How to apply
Apply here: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/applying/postgraduate-entry-requirements/
For information on funding, please visit the following website: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Finance/Student-Funding/
Applications are invited from those who have an 2:1 honours degree classification (or above) in sport science or sport studies with strong science and research methods elements.