Every community requires qualified and dedicated teachers to prepare students for success in their subjects and in life. To meet the needs of aspiring teachers from a variety of fields and backgrounds, Binghamton University
's Graduate School of Education (GSE) offers both pre-service and in-service programs in adolescence education:
Pre-service programs are intended for students who do not yet have certification to teach. They culminate in Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degrees. These programs prepare students with bachelor’s degrees who seek certification to teach students in grades 7-12 in New York State schools for initial teaching certification.
In-service programs are designed for students who already hold teaching certification and lead to Master of Science in Education (MSEd) degrees. These programs combine advanced study and practice in both an academic area and in professional education, enhancing the teaching and leadership abilities of secondary school educators. Completion of this degree and other requirements leads to professional certification in New York State as a teacher of the subject area for students in grades 7-12.
After You Graduate
This program prepares students for teaching certification in adolescence education in New York State. Employment opportunities for teachers have improved significantly over the last few years. Due to strict licensure rules, a New York State teaching license is well respected across the nation. Typically, graduates of the programs easily find employment as teachers in other states.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Online graduate degree application and application fee
- Transcripts from each college/university which you have attended
- Two letters of recommendation (the GSE will accept additional letters of recommendation)
- Personal statement (Please see the GSE Admissions website for additional information about the personal statement)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages)
- Official GRE scores for pre-service applicants
- Teaching certification for in-service applicants
- Any program-specific materials (please see the GSE Admissions website for details)
And, for international applicants:
- International Student Financial Statement form
- Official bank statement/proof of support
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
A bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university; AND Complete set of your undergraduate and graduate transcripts. At minimum, a 3.0 GPA is required.