An international leader in the discipline, Binghamton University
's Department of Political Science is ranked in the top 20 by the 2010 NRC Study, and 19th in the world by the Hix study, with faculty who publish widely and are leaders in their fields. The graduate program offers the MA and PhD, and has an outstanding record of PhD placement at research universities.
The program emphasizes a broadly-based theoretical understanding of political behavior and institutions, coupled with the ability to carry out systematic empirical analysis. PhD students choose two substantive foci from among American politics, comparative politics, or world politics; MA students need only develop a specialization in one substantive area.
The primary goal at the PhD level is to educate scholars who will contribute to the development of political science through careers in teaching and research. The MA can be taken in either of two tracks, one requiring the completion of a thesis, the other a comprehensive exam. Either track provides graduates with advanced training suitable for policy analysis, journalism or other professional careers. Our graduates leave Binghamton University
prepared for employment in academia, research institutes, government or private industry.
Recent doctoral graduate placements include: Assistant Professor at Boise State University, Assistant Professor at University of Oklahoma, Assistant Professor at University of Georgia, Assistant Professor at University of Alabama, Assistant Professor at University of Mississippi, Assistant Professor at Kansas State University, Post Doctoral Fellowship at University of Oklahoma.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Online graduate degree application and application fee
- Transcripts from each college/university you have attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (2-3 pages) describing your reasons for pursuing graduate study, your career aspirations, your special interests within your field, and any unusual features of your background that might need explanation or be of interest to your program's admissions committee.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages)
- Official GRE scores
And, for international applicants:
- International Student Financial Statement form
- Official bank statement/proof of support
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
A bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university; AND Complete set of your undergraduate and graduate transcripts. At minimum, a 3.0 GPA is required.