Looking beyond the accepted views and protocols on giftedness.
For a long time we believed that smart children would make it on their own. But that’s a misconception. They can rapidly adapt to expectations and their peers, covering up their giftedness. And as a result, their talent is lost and a learning or behavioural disability could even arise. Therefore, there’s plenty for remedial educationalists to do!
Giftedness is more than IQ. Physical, musical, social and creative abilities are also involved. You will study how personal characteristics – like motivation and performance anxiety – abilities, and surroundings influence each other. You will learn how to identify the needs of a gifted pupil. You will test your gut feeling with research results. You will be critical of both your field and your own talents and talent development. You will investigate the conflict between stimulating talent and being fearful of doing so. Do we want people to excel? Do we dare to want it?
This programme will challenge you to look beyond the accepted views on giftedness. To look beyond protocols. And beyond the Netherlands. This international Master’s specialisation will train you to be a scientist practitioner. After completion you will be able say that you’re an expert in gifted education. With your knowledge and skills, you will able to work as a remedial educationalist, educational advisor, policy maker, or researcher at schools, school advisory services, (governmental) organisations and research centres.
See website http://www.ru.nl/masters/giftededucation
- The Master’s specialisation in Gifted Education at Radboud University
is the only Master’s specialisation in the Netherlands that focuses on giftedness.
- The programme works closely with the Centre for the Study of Giftedness (CBO), the only academic research institute that focuses on giftedness. Lianne Hoogeveen, head of the institute and developmental psychologist, is one of the lecturers within this specialisation. She regularly has contact with clients and uses real-life experiences as examples in her lectures.
- The expertise of the research group ensures there is a good relationship with schools, organisations and, for example, the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. For you, this offers interesting internships, real-life case studies, relevant thesis subjects and invaluable contacts in and outside the Netherlands.
- This programme is partially or completely (depending on the choosen track) in English. Giftedness affects a relatively small group of children and it’s therefore important to see what’s happening outside of the Netherlands. An international programme as this one is ideally suited for this. Incidently, you will proof that you have a thorough command of English.
Do you accept excellence? From both yourself and others? What is giftedness in all its facets? After completing this specialisation you will look at talent and talent development differently. You will not only have gained new knowledge but also new insights. You will dare to view things differently. And to be different.
Fitting educational programmes is the new standard: there are less special needs programmes and mainstream schools must accommodate students with learning disabilities themselves. This also includes gifted pupils. This means that schools are judged on what they do with these kids. Schools need help from experts. Upon completion of your studies, you will be that expert!
Awareness is growing that we need to deal with giftedness differently. Smart children will not simply make it on their own. They need special support. Just as remedial educationalists are needed for dyslexic children, they are also needed for gifted children, to make sure these pupils get the help and support they need in the classroom. And to make sure that their talents aren’t wasted.
With this Master’s specialisation you’ll be able to work as an remedial educationalist, educational advisor, policy maker, researcher or teacher. You can use your expertise for school consultancy at a particular school or a group of schools such as schools for gifted pupils, Leonard Schools but also regular schools that pay attention to gifted pupils. You will also be able to work for research centres, like the Center for the Study of Giftedness (CBO), the SLO, Netherlands Institute for Curriculum Development, KPC Groep and the Centre for Creative Learning.
Career orientation programme
The expertise of the research group ensures there is a good relationship with schools, organisations and the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. When, for example, the ministry wants to know more about giftedness, they ask the Center for the Study of Giftedness (CBO) in Nijmegen. Practical questions often lead to research proposals for theses or interesting internships. That way, you’ll be able to get invaluable contacts and make a name for yourself in this field.
Our approach to this field
Excellence is a topical issue. International studies (like the PISA Studies) have shown that the Netherlands deals well with lower scoring students: the country is in the top five. But in comparison, the country does not deal well with children that score above average. Gifted children do not get the education they need and that means that a lot of talent is wasted. The government is encouraging schools to offer gifted children a fitting programme. To be able to do this, schools need help from experts. Upon completion of your studies, you will be that expert!
When you complete this Master’s specialisation, you’ll be able to analyse and investigate problems regarding giftedness and come up with suitable solutions. You will gain the following skills and knowledge during this programme:
- You will gain insight into the characteristics and problems of pupils and students in general and of gifted children, teenagers and young adults in particular.
- You will study research on gifted education and will work with case studies about gifted pupils.
- You will improve your research skills and will learn about the diagnostic and treatment of problems regarding giftedness.
- You will learn how to apply the theoretical knowledge in specific educational situations with gifted children or adolescents.
See the website http://www.ru.nl/masters/giftededucation