The MA in Education: Leadership and Management is for experienced teachers, lecturers and educational managers and other professionals in all phases of education (primary, secondary, further and higher education). It is designed for those working in training and professional development to gain an award focused on leadership and management.
The course is concerned with the development of critical enquiry and reflection in the field of educational leadership and management, and the development of professional knowledge and expertise.
See the website http://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/ma-education-leadership-and-management/
Why choose this course?
- The course is designed to create a learning environment that draws upon the divergent intellectual and practice backgrounds of students and to provide opportunities to network with others.
- Through the course students are supported in improving and developing their professional organisations through critical enquiry, reflection and the promotion of creative and innovative practice.
- The School of Education at Oxford Brookes is a focal point for stimulating and informed debate on education through its seminar and lecture programmes and ongoing work with schools.
- The School of Education works in close partnership with a range of educational settings and services and can provide opportunities for placements as part of the course experience.
- We offer a wide range of Postgraduate Certificates, specifically designed for part time students who are working full time. Sessions typically run in the evenings, with some online discussions. On completion of a postgraduate certificate you can then choose to go onto study a further three modules and the successful completion of a dissertation will complete your MA Education.
Teaching and learning
Learning methods include lectures, directed reading, workshops, student and staff-led seminars, and project work. Teaching, learning and assessment draw on the different backgrounds, experience and knowledge of participants, and encourage critical reflection.
Approach to assessment
Each course module is assessed separately and is based on coursework, eg individual essays, seminar presentations, reports, portfolios, investigative research and group work.
Teaching is organised on a module-credit basis. Each module involves approximately 24 hours of staff contact as follows:
- part-time on campus: eight weekly teaching blocks. Modules are usually taught on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays (depending on choice), from 5pm to 8pm
- full-time on campus: students join part-time students in some evening modules, and complete the rest of the course through daytime sessions (currently Thursdays)
- online distance learning
How this course helps you develop
Studying the MA Education - Leadership and Management will bring depth and insight into your professional thinking. You will meet students who are at various levels in their careers and you will learn from each other's experiences.
Completion of the course shows a commitment to professional development and should lead to improved prospects for career progression.
- Postgraduate certificates
Alternatively, you can develop your professional practice in specialist areas through our range of Postgraduate Certificate Awards.
Free language courses for students - the Open Module
Free language courses are available to full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students on many of our courses, and can be taken as a credit on some courses.
Please note that the free language courses are not available if you are:
- studying at a Brookes partner college
- studying on any of our teacher education courses or postgraduate education courses.
This MA course attracts students from a wide range of backgrounds and nationalities, normally graduates with a recognised teaching qualification, or other educational professional experience. Applicants should have: a good honours degree or pass degree, QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) or other equivalent professional qualification, relevant professional experience.
Home / EU: Full-time £5,330, Part-time £590 per single module; International: Full-time £12,850 Part-time £1,415 per single module