About this course
For a number of years Northumbria University
has been at the forefront of new technologies. We have a history of employing the latest electronic media in our research and throughout our teaching. Following the rise of importance in the use of Building Information Modelling (BIM) within the Built Environment professions Northumbria University
established the BIM Academy with Ryder Architecture – one of the leading Architecture firms in the country. BIM will transform the Built Environment. By sharing information between Design Team (architects, surveyors, consulting engineers), Contractors and Subcontractors, and Owners, it can add additional discipline-specific knowledge to one single model, meaning significant reduction in information loss, and a more efficient, accurate construction process and improved maintenance and repair of buildings.
This programme is unique in that it is responding directly to industry demand to provide students with enhanced knowledge of BIM software and its strategic integration into everyday projects.
- Aims of the programme
• To provide a better understanding of the future of construction and how the industry will develop in a BIM enabled future
• To provide an understanding of the complexity of working in interdisciplinary teams and managing collaborative design and production
• To allow students to develop new skills which will enhance their ability to plan and execute design for construction, producing more efficient, sustainable and buildable projects
• To allow construction industry professionals to enhance their existing skills in order to improve project delivery through the use of Building Information Modelling and Management.
• To foster leadership, decision making, strategic thinking and communication
- Who can study this programme?
• Those wishing to increase their knowledge and understanding of managing the design process and design teams
• Construction professionals seeking to upskill in the areas of Building Information Modelling and Design Management
• Students coming from a design or construction background - in particular (but not exclusively); Architectural Technologists seeking to increase their knowledge, and in turn their influence on the design process and Construction and Project Managers wishing to increase their knowledge of, or move in to the field of design management. Northumbria University
is committed to remain at the forefront of developments within BIM and will continue to invest in research in this area. By running programmes such as the Building Design Management and BIM MSc, we are creating graduates who will be pivotal to the success of the Built Environment and Engineering sector.
Whatever your aspirations in your work, you’ll find the latest technologies to support you in our dedicated laboratories and studios. Throughout your studies, whether undergraduate, postgraduate or research, you will be able to survey, visualise, model and take your ideas out of the Department and into the world around you.
The department of Mechanical and Construction Engineering is a top-35 Engineering research department with 79% of our outputs ranked world-leading or internationally excellent according to the latest UK wide research assessment exercise (REF2014, UoA15). This places us in the top quartile for world-leading publications among UK universities in General Engineering.
See the website https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/courses/building-design-management-and-building-information-modelling-bim-fts-dtfbbd6/
See this website for the information on the Postgraduate Certificate: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/courses/building-design-management-and-building-information-modelling-ftj-dtfbdc6/
Who would this Course suit?
This course is for you if you wish to increase your knowledge and understanding of managing the design process and design teams. It will appeal to construction professionals seeking to upskill in the areas of Building Information Modelling and Design Management and students coming from a design or construction background - in particular (but not exclusively) Architectural.
Degree (2:2 or above) in a relevant subject.