• Nothing stands still in the fascinating world of security. Whether you’re a graduate or an experienced network professional or software engineer keen to update your skills, this course will equip you with a cutting edge understanding of this rapidly changing environment.
• Network security skills are increasingly in demand. There’s a growing emphasis on combating fraud in developing network and communication systems.
• This course has been designed with Cisco-specific curriculum, enabling you to work towards Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) and Fundamentals of Network Security (FNS) certification as part of your postgraduate studies.
The MSc in Data Networks and Security builds on the core Design of Communication Systems and Network Management modules of the MSc Data Communications course, before focusing on issues of network security. The course reflects the increasing need to secure the complex communications systems used by industry. Combating fraud and malice, together with the requirements for handling errors and mischance, are now core objectives in the development of network and communication systems.
The course will:
• Develop your understanding of generic networking principles
• Develop your ability to plan, manage, implement, synthesise and communicate secure network solutions
• Develop the multidisciplinary skills required to design and implement secure data networking systems
• Develop the project management and interpersonal skills required to operate effectively in project teams.
The main emphasis of the assessment strategy is to highlight the need for effective communication of thoughts and ideas within a professional environment. For this reason, project reports, practical work, record keeping and oral presentations are used extensively for assessment purposes, although time constrained tests may also be used where appropriate.
A particular feature of the courses is that assessment focuses largely on projects and case studies. Personal development planning is an integral part of the learning process of each element of the course.
The University can offer postgraduate research (MPhil and PhD) programmes. See http://www.bcu.ac.uk/postgrad
Industry needs flexible, multi-skilled individuals who can maintain a high-level perspective of a complex system and embed secure networking practice in their approach to system design, implementation, test and management. This MSc equips you to do just that. Graduates typically enjoy careers as network designers, network managers, data network engineers or in network security, simulation and management.