Building on its international reputation for training in the arts and craft of film and television, The National Film and Television School proposes to introduce an MA designed for students who wish to attain the skills required to support all aspects of production technology in live and recorded environments.
- 2 Year Course
- Course runs Jan-Dec each year
- Next intake: January 2017
- NFTS Scholarships available for UK Students
- Establish an in-depth knowledge of technologies in the industry combined with practical work experience and intensive training.
- Learn the skills to become an innovator in production technology.
- Develop the skills for a career in a wide range of areas within television production.
- Opportunity to become a specialist in your chosen field.
- Access to BFIs Passport to Cinema and NFTS Masterclasses lead by major creative figures from film, television and games.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 13 OCT 2016
Visit the website https://nfts.co.uk/our-courses/masters/production-technology
The course will give students a fundamental understanding of the underlying technologies and workflows in use in the industry, with the opportunity to specialise in one chosen area. It offers a rigorous curriculum that combines theoretical training in a number of production technology disciplines with industry work experience placements and intensive training, enabling students to develop their own skills and understanding to provide a strong basis for a career in a wide range of relevant areas within television production.
Across the TV and film industries emerging technologies are enabling new creative opportunities both directly through production equipment and techniques and indirectly through new distribution platforms. The need for production technologists skilled in the latest developments is increasing, with numerous skills gaps apparent in the employment market. Moreover, some 60% of Broadcast engineers across Europe are within 10 years of retirement, according to the BBC Academy website. Specialists in a number of areas of Production Technology are in great demand from broadcasters, facilities companies, equipment manufacturers and systems integrators.
Production Technology is a very wide field covering traditional live studio and transmission support through to outside broadcasts, workflow design, media asset management and distribution systems across multiple delivery platforms – thus the potential career paths of graduates are numerous and varied.
Technology, both traditional and new, forms an essential part of the creative process and NFTS students are engaged in more productions as part of the curriculum than any of our competitors.
The course will provide:
- an in depth understanding of traditional and new technology and workflows enabling and supporting creation of content and delivery to broadcast and online services
- cutting-edge technological expertise in all stages of media production
- optional units and a professional placement with an industry partner allowing a specialised focus on an aspect of production technology
* Subject to Validation
The first year will involve a combination of theory and practical work in which students will gain a detailed grounding in the basics of production technology from content generation to delivery. Emphasis will be placed on innovative thinking and designing solutions to support the creative ambitions of production teams and content platform providers. The School’s TV Studio, Single camera units, Post Production and Outside Broadcast facilities will be utilised. The main topics include:
- Media Technology Fundamentals
- Production, Post Production and distribution (Broadcast, IP) workflows
- TV Studio technology, workflows and support
- TV Outside Broadcast technology, workflows and support
- Single camera shooting technology, workflows and support
- Post Production technologies, workflow design and support
- Media Asset Management across production and delivery workflows
- Broadcast and non-linear distribution technologies, workflows and support
Specialisation in two of the following areas:
- Content Creation - Single camera, TV Studio, Outside Broadcasts
- Media management - MAM systems, workflows, systems design
- Post Production - Workflows, Media management, NLE offline, online, grading, audio mixing
- Delivery - Media management, transcoding workflows, delivery and distribution technologies
Placements will be arranged with partners in relevant areas and will form at least 20% of the second year.
A graduation piece in the form of a solution to a particular production or delivery issue including workflow and system design.
Students will be required to complete a dissertation.
- On two sides of A4 please tell us about the Production Technology requirements of a television show you have worked on or admire. Tell us briefly how you might approach improving the show with the support of technology.
No more than two pages (A4 paper)
HOW TO APPLY
You can apply directly to us at the NFTS by clicking on the link below:
APPLY FOR PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY COURSE - https://nfts.co.uk/sign-me-up/apply-now/?nid=2028
You can apply online, or download a word document of the application form to submit via email
When selecting your course, please ensure that you have read the entry requirements and details of the supporting materials that should accompany your application.
TIMING YOUR APPLICATION
We are happy to receive applications 24/7 and 365 days a year up until the deadline. That said, there is no particular advantage to submitting your application very early. The important thing is that your application shows us your latest work and tell us about your most recent filmmaking experiences.
This course invites applications from students with a background in electronics, broadcast systems or software development. In addition, a keen interest in broadcast technologies and television production, broadcast workflows and/or media management and distribution. Applications are also encouraged from applicants without a first degree but with professional experience.