This unique award-winning course, which is still the only one of its kind in the world at MA level, is continually proving itself to be a fast-track into the Industry. Students have sold not one but three Entertainment formats - to Warner Brothers Television and to ITV - in the last three years alone. Recently, two student graduation shows won prestigious awards at the New York Television Festival and the department won yet another RTS Award for best student Entertainment show.
- 2 Year Course
- Course runs Jan-Dec each year
- Next intake: January 2017
- NFTS Scholarships available for UK Students
- The only Television MA course of its kind in the world
- Produce and direct entertainment programmes in our professional standard television studio.
- Be taught by top Industry professionals.
- Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School.
- Go on placements with BBC and ITV, and leading entertainment production companies like Hat Trick, Objective and talkbackTHAMES.
- Take a fast track into the Industry.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 07 JUL 2016
Visit the website https://nfts.co.uk/our-courses/masters/producing-directing-television-entertainment
Entertainment shows are at the centre of UK and global television schedules. Our students and graduates are already having an impact on the highest revenue generating part of television.
On this Television MA course, students learn to develop, script, produce and direct single camera and multi-camera programmes across all entertainment genres, using the School's own television studio or out on location. Students experience the programme cycle from the brainstorming of an idea right through to transmission. The structure of the course follows the chronological steps of an entertainment television production. Injected into this, timeline will be specifically tailored modules taught by top television professionals. Students also get the chance to pitch their entertainment ideas to broadcasters like SKY and the BBC. There is a huge amount of detail to fit in to two years so it is very hard work but - it is entertainment - so it should be fun!
Students graduate with:
- the skills to direct TV studio multi-camera and single camera productions
- the know-how to produce entire entertainment shows
- a practical working knowledge of current television production methods
- the ability to generate entertainment programme ideas and formats
- the confidence and know-how to pitch those ideas to commissioning editors
- brilliant Industry contacts
Our intensely practical and pioneering Television MA course aims to train the entertainment directors and producers of tomorrow. Students are taught by NFTS staff and visiting Industry professionals and have hands-on experience of a variety of production roles. Other crucial areas covered include how to pitch original programme ideas to broadcasters and how to set up an independent production company. Students also undertake a week-long module on business and legal affairs supervised by top Industry lawyers Lee & Thompson. Placements with leading production companies like Hat Trick, Objective and Maverick or broadcasters like the BBC are an integral part of the course. By the time students graduate they have the craft, skill and confidence to produce and direct both in the studio and on location. They also have a thorough understanding of the television production process encompassing everything from the creative to the technical and the business aspects.
Unlike other schools, all production costs are met by the School. In addition you will be given a cash Production Budget. NFTS students are engaged in more productions as part of the curriculum than any of our competitors.
The course is led by David G Croft (Shooting Stars, Baddiel's Syndrome, Live Aid, Top of The Pops & Crystal Maze). Other tutors who often teach at the school include Richard Boden (Blackadder Goes Forth, The IT Crowd), Geoff Posner (Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Concert, Dinner Ladies, Little Britain), Michael Grade - Lew Grade Chair in Television Production, Richard Greenwood (ITV Entertainment Executive), Amanda Murphy (Executive Producer: Supernanny), Ian Russell (Multi-Camera Director: Royal Wedding, London Olympics), Graham Stuart (Executive Producer: Graham Norton).
- A short proposal for a television entertainment programme – no more than one A4 typed page
- Optional: A DVD containing samples of your work specifying your exact role in each. This work need not be in the entertainment area, as some applicants may not have a film or other programme-making background.
HOW TO APPLY
You can apply directly to us at the NFTS by clicking on the link below:
APPLY FOR PRODUCING & DIRECTING TELEVISION ENTERTAINMENT COURSE - https://nfts.co.uk/sign-me-up/apply-now/?nid=30
You can apply online, or download a word document of the application form to submit via email
When selecting your course, please ensure that you have read the entry requirements and details of the supporting materials that should accompany your application.
TIMING YOUR APPLICATION
We are happy to receive applications 24/7 and 365 days a year up until the deadline. That said, there is no particular advantage to submitting your application very early. The important thing is that your application shows us your latest work and tell us about your most recent filmmaking experiences.
If you are lively and imaginative, then this is the course for you! Applicants must be able to demonstrate their passion, commitment and talent for developing a career in Entertainment TV. If you have a degree, then television experience isn’t necessary; for applicants without a degree, some Industry experience or similar is required.