Currently seeking accreditation from the European Herbal and Traditional Medicine Practitioners Association (EHTPA) in association with the Ayurvedic Practitioners Association.
The MSc/PGDip Professional Practice in Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine at Middlesex University
is a unique training programme in the UK and Europe. It provides an opportunity for those who already possess a bachelor degree, particularly for those who have a previous degree or equivalent level qualifications in healthcare related professions (e.g. GPs, physiotherapists, chiropractors, osteopaths, midwives, nurses, and complementary practitioners), to study Ayurvedic Medicine, and to gain a qualification as practitioners of Ayurvedic Medicine.
This programme is seeking accreditation with the European Herbal and Traditional Medicine Practitioners Association (EHTPA). The EHTPA is the umbrella body that monitors standards of education for various herbal medicine professions in the UK. Subject to EHTPA approval, graduates will be eligible to apply for membership of a UK Herbal Medicine professional body.
Taking into account each individual's background, current professional knowledge and previous training, we will tailor their study in a way that best suits their needs, whilst ensuring attainment of the EHTPA's requirement to produce graduates who are competent, safe and caring herbal practitioners. The duration of training will therefore vary for different individuals, as it may be possible to offer exemptions from some aspects of study on the basis of previous learning.
During this intensive training course students will be given a thorough grounding in the principles and practice of Ayurvedic Medicine, including its history and philosophy, as well as instruction in botany, herbal materia medica and pharmacognosy, pharmacology and clinical practice, and clinical applications of Ayurvedic herbal medicines. Among other subjects studied are diagnostics, integrated clinical sciences, professional development and research, and nutrition. Students will also benefit from our dedicated facilities for laboratory work and clinical skills, including our complementary medicine teaching clinic staffed by highly qualified and experienced Ayurvedic practitioners.
Benefits of this course
- Open to all graduates
- We're also a top ten university for complementary health in the UK according to the Complete University Guide
- No previous training or experience in the subject required
- You can gain a qualification in Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine as well as a Master's Degree
- It is possible to complete in 2 years (or less if you are a medical professional or in a related healthcare field)
- The course is delivered by the Department of Mental Health, Social Work, Interprofesssional Learning and Complementary Health - home to recognised excellence in teaching and learning delivered by a large and diversely skilled staff group with extensive experience in practice and research. There is a wide range of research activity within the Department, which has five professors, and - we frequently undertake research and evaluation on behalf of external agencies.
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
Students who complete all 300 credits will be awarded the MSc Professional Practice in Ayurvedic Medicine. Students who choose not to take the final Work Based Learning Project (60 credits) will be awarded the PGDip Professional Practice in Ayurvedic Medicine.
You can apply for either the full MSc course or opt for the PGDip. To begin the course you must complete a satisfactory enhanced DBS check and provide suitable references.
FEES £53 per credit for all modules including dissertation FEES INTERNATIONAL £68 per credit for all modules including dissertation