The Master in Public Administration (MPA) at LSBU has been selected by Procurement Services as part of the Government Skills Framework and ranked number one. We are the only London-based University to be approved to deliver both the MPA and MBA awards to government staff.
A Masters degree in Public Administration is an internationally recognised qualification designed for anyone working in local, regional, or central government, or for a charity or public-private partnership wishing to develop their academic and vocational skills.
This Programme addresses some of the key issues facing the public sector such as effective leadership, anticipating and responding to change, performance management, governance and ethical practice and sustainability and gives students the opportunity to develop specialist expertise as well as the ability to respond to an ever-changing and challenging environment.
Upon graduation students you will be equipped to make a practical difference in the delivery of public services programmes and agendas.
The MPA teaching team was recently short-listed for the Prospects Postgraduate Awards in the category of 'best teaching team' by our students, and received a judges commendation, as a runner-up out of 150 teams.These awards celebrate excellence and development in postgraduate education. Our MPA programme has also been selected as an approved supplier by the Government Procurement Service as part of the skills framework.
See the website http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/master-public-administration-mpa
- Leadership, public management and governance (20 credits)
- Public policy and the managerial environment (20 credits)
- Managing through critical research (20 credits)
- Managing people and HRM in the public sector (20 credits)
- International public management, policy and governance (20 credits)
- Managing within a regulatory framework (10 credits)
- Equality and diversity in the workforce (10 credits)
- Policy-making in action (10 credits)
- Strategic management in the public and not for profit sectors (10 credits)
- Public sector entrepreneurship (10 credits)
- The practice of management consulting in the public sector (10 credits)
- Social enterprise (10 credits)
- Law and ethic for healthcare managers (10 credits)
- Leadership in health services (10 credits)
- Reflecting on public service (10 credits)
- Current quality issues in health service management (10 credits)
- Commissioning and procurement in health and social services (10 credits)
- Ethical leadership in international public services (10 credits)
- Dissertation (60 credits)
Employment prospects are excellent. Successful students can, in addition to senior management roles, build senior management careers in a variety of roles in public service, government policy and management.
Recent successes include appointment to Directorate Level and Heads of Service.
LSBU Employability Services
LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability and succeed in getting a job after you have graduated. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search. Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills, finding a job, interview techniques, work experience or an internship, and will help you assess what you need to do to get the job you want at the end of your course. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies, including:
- direct engagement from employers who come in to interview and talk to students
- Job Shop and on-campus recruitment agencies to help your job search
- mentoring and work shadowing schemes.
The Master in Public Administration (MPA) has been selected by Procurement Services as part of the Government Skills Framework and ranked number one. We are the only London-based University to be approved to deliver both the MPA and MBA awards to government staff.
Centre of Excellence status is the IoEE’s (Institute of Enterprise and Entrepreneurs) flagship organisational accreditation for organisations that promote and deliver enterprise skills development – and is in recognition of the School’s entrepreneurial culture and leading-edge practice.