The Executive Masters in Public Administration (XMPA) aims to reflect changes in the public sector environment and changes in service provision, at a strategic level as well as critical analysis of Government policy. It supports the Government's commitment to provide lifelong learning and the skilling, training and development of public managers to achieve this. Further to reflect changes in styles of public management theory and practice and to recognise the changes in public administration and the requirements of managers for the skills and knowledge to manage cross sectorally, inter-sectorally.
The XMPA will develop your academic and vocational skills, equipping you for careers in the public sector and as a potential manager, able respond to an ever-changing and challenging environment. You'll gain relevant current knowledge, skills and understanding to enable you to work effectively given the changes in the public sector environment and in public policy.
- Full time and part time modes
- Membership of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- Dual award – academic qualification from LSBU and professional award from the CMI (Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Direction and Leadership). Please note that direct entrants to year 2 will need to pay a mapping fee if they wish to register for the CMI award.
- Attendance of week-long International Summer School in conjunction with six other leading European universities offering comparable XMPAs
- Intensive and interactive weekend residential
- Learning outcomes mapped to CMI level 8 qualification
- Transferability of learning to workplace and vice versa
- Aimed at middle and senior managers
The teaching team on the Executive MPA was recently short-listed for the Prospects Postgraduate Awards in the category of 'best teaching team' by our students, and received a judges commendation, as a runner-up out of 150 teams.These awards celebrate excellence and development in postgraduate education. Our MPA programme has also been selected as an approved supplier by the Government Procurement Service as part of the skills framework.
See the website http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/executive-master-public-administration-mpa
- Leadership, Public Management and Governance
Creation of the public sector and the development of public management theory, principles and application of governance understanding leadership.
- Public Policy and the Managerial Environment
Development of public policy and its application within the context of a changing public sector environment and the effects of the political context.
- Managing through Critical Research
Research theory and the development of research skills and tools to undertake the dissertation. Understanding of how to develop a research proposal.
- Integrative Management and Change
Looking at change management theory and the management of change in a challenging public sector environment.
- Contemporary Issues for Public Managers
Highlights current issues facing public managers and specifically designed to be able to take up and respond to specific developments whilst retaining a core component.
Plus two of the following optional modules:
- Managing Within a Regulatory Framework
- Equality and Diversity in the Workforce
- Policy Making in Action
- Strategic Management in the Public and Not for Profit Sectors
- Public Sector Entrepreneurship
- The Practice of Management Consulting in the Public Sector
- Social Enterprise
- Law and Ethics for Health Care Managers
- Leadership in Health Services
- International Policy and Governance
- Current Quality Issues in Health Service Management
- Commissioning and Procurement in Health and Social Services
- International Management and Change in Public Services
- Ethical Leadership in International Public Services
Research question of the student's choice and opportunity to develop this linked to public management and administration or policy.
Assessment is by course work, assignments, presentations and case studies. There re no formal examinations on this course and this is a deliberate decision.
Diploma in Management Studies
If you hold a Diploma in Management Studies you'll be accredited with 60 course credits and study the following modules:
- Leadership, public management and governance
- Public policy and the managerial environment
- Managing through critical research
You'll also be required to attend the residential weekend and the International Summer School.
Types of careers:
The course is aimed at senior managers (and in this respect differs from the Master of Public Administration which is aimed at overseas students and those wanting to enter a career in public and social sectors). This course enables further career enhancement and development to more strategic levels, providing career sustainability and employability.
Former students have gone onto roles as:
- Director of Health and Social Care
- Strategic Director of Children and Adult Services
- Assistant Director of Education and Training
You can also progress onto the Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA).
LSBU Employability Services
LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability and succeed in getting a job after you have graduated. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search. Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills, finding a job, interview techniques, work experience or an internship, and will help you assess what you need to do to get the job you want at the end of your course. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies, including:
- direct engagement from employers who come in to interview and talk to students
- Job Shop and on-campus recruitment agencies to help your job search
- mentoring and work shadowing schemes.
European Partner Institutions: Bocconi Milan, Erasmus, Rotterdam, Esade Barcelona, Copenhagen Business School, Potsdam University, Limerick University and Hint and Hist University, Norway. Partners in the International Summer school.
Course participants receive a dual ward from the Chartered Management Institute - The Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Direction and Leadership. They become associate members of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and can access CMI services and publications. On successful completion of the XMPA course participants may be eligible to become Members of the CMI. Part of the assessment of the XMPA course contributes also to professional recognition and Chartered Manager status which course participants can continue on completion.
Teaching and learning
The course is taught using a variety of methods including individual discussions and tutorials, case study analysis, group and individual presentations, and individual logs.
At induction you'll receive support and advice from the Study Skills section, the Employability Unit, the IT training section and the Information Skills Advisor.