This innovative programme has been developed to support, enhance and develop excellence in midwifery practice. The ultimate aim of this programme is to enable midwives and other health professionals providing maternity services to review, challenge and seek ways of improving the service in striving for excellence to ensure a world class maternity service, which responds effectively to consumer expectations.
Normally students are registered midwives with an honours degree. The emphasis is on clinical expertise and excellence in practice - you must therefore be able to implement your acquired skills in your clinical role. The Challenges of Implementing the Public Health Agenda module is open to other health professionals providing maternity services.
See the website http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/midwifery-excellence-practice-msc
- Research methodology and strategy
- The challenges of implementing the public agenda
- Excellence in clinical practice and professional development
- Research philosophies
- Progressing healthcare provision through clinical audit
- Exploring the challenges of clinical decision making through work-based learning
- Developing skills and competence in professional practice
- Management of breastfeeding through work-based learning
Career progression within the NHS is increasinglyinfluenced by academic awards. The Masters degrees form part of the essentialcriteria for consultant midwifery, for head/director of midwifery and formidwifery lecturing posts. It is a desirable criterion for matrons positions,and for specialist midwives posts.
LSBU Employability Services
LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search. Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies if needed, including:
- direct engagement from employers who come in to interview and talk to students
- Job Shop and on-campus recruitment agencies to help your job search
- mentoring and work shadowing schemes.
An honours degree in Midwifery with a minimum of one year post registration practice experience, or a relevant professional qualification with evidence of successful degree level study.Accreditation of prior experience can be used to demonstrate successful degree level study.