The MA in Education is a professionally oriented Masters-level programme of professional development taught at Leeds Trinity University
As a part time course, it is designed specifically to meet your professional and personal development needs whether you are a serving teacher, lecturer, trainer or other education professional.
It enables you to engage with a wide range of educational issues and is designed to support improvements in teaching and learning through critical reflective practice and practical enquiry.
The course brings together education professionals from a wide variety of contexts: early years, primary education, secondary education, special education, further and higher education. Students on the course are a mix of those who are in the early years of the profession, as well as experienced teachers, education leaders, managers and those who support learning. Students say how much they value the sharing of practice across sectors and disciplines, and how they benefit from learning in such diverse groups.
Benefits of Education
- The course is specifically designed for busy professionals, working in all educational contexts, to support reflective and evidence-based practice
- The course is a professionally relevant programme of continuing professional development for all those working in teaching/training/lecturing/support positions in education.
- The MA is a manageable part time programme taught by enthusiastic, dedicated and expert staff with significant experience of work and research in the field of education.
- Learning is supported through access to online library and journal resources, a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), and a specialist team of staff in our Learning Hub to support academic learning and development.
- The MA offers excellent value for money that leads to real benefits in terms of career progression and development.
All our students work in full time or part time professional positions during their study. Upon graduation, students report that their study impacts on their professional practice and opportunities for progression/promotion. Graduates from the programme say that the confidence, knowledge and skills they have gained from studying on the MA in Education have helped them secure posts with additional responsibility, and that the MA degree has been a key factor in promotion to leadership and management positions.
This is what our students say about their study with us:
- 'The delivery of the modules has been high quality, and I feel that I am more than prepared for the assignments' (Secondary Assistant Head)
- 'There is a prodigious level of support on the course; help has been exceptional' (Further Education Tutor)
- 'I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. It is expertly led, interesting and empowering' (Secondary Subject Leader)
- 'I think that the effect on pupils of my doing the MA has been very positive.’ (Primary NQT)
- ‘I have had time to really think about the theory behind what I’m doing, and revise practice accordingly, even whilst working in a very busy profession! The support from tutors has been fantastic and helped me to juggle effectively both my work and my study.’ (Secondary Science Teacher)
- ‘As an aspiring leader I am looking forward to using the skills I have acquired from the programme. My teaching practice will continue to be shaped by this extremely valuable and worthwhile learning experience.’ (Secondary Geography Teacher)
The normal entry requirement for the MA in Education is an honours degree. In order to be able to fulfill the requirements of the module assignments, you will need to be working in a teaching or teaching related/support position/leadership position.Access to the course is through completion of a written application form. Applicants who do not meet the normal entry requirement may still be considered for a place following an application and informal interview process. Early application is advised as places are limited.