For graduates with a computer science background, Advanced Software Engineering with Management MSc will enable you to gain a thorough understanding of the role of IT in enterprise and how information systems impact on business and organisational processes. Delivered by of the Department of Informatics, which has an enviable reputation for research-led teaching and project supervision from leading experts in their field.
•Unrivalled location in the heart of London giving access to major libraries and leading scientific societies, including the BCS Chartered Institute for IT and the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
• Equips students with advanced software engineering skills so that they are prepared to play a creative and leading role in the professional and research community.
• Develops critical awareness and appreciation of the changing role of computing in society, motivating graduates to pursue continuing professional development and further research.
• Access to speakers of international repute through seminars and external lectures, enabling students to keep abreast of emerging knowledge in advanced computing and related fields.
• One of the few one-year MSc programmes offered by Russell Group institutions that combines specialist education in Software Engineering with specialist Management education.
Visit the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/advanced-software-engineering-with-management-msc.aspx
This programme focuses on advanced techniques for the development of software systems, with an emphasis on the construction and management of internet-oriented, agent-oriented and large software systems. It is built around taught core modules such as software design and architecture and a group project that provides experience of working in a syndicate to design, implement and document a substantial software product. The programme also prepares students to take on certain, more senior roles in industry that require specialist management knowledge and problem solving skills related to Software Engineering.
These modules are complemented by a range of optional modules that relate to various aspects of computing. The final part of the programme is an individual project, which is closely linked with the Department's research activities.
- Course purpose
For graduates with substantial experience of computer science, this programme will develop your expertise and skills in software engineering, preparing you for a career in software engineering, software maintenance and software testing. Research for your individual project will provide valuable preparation for a career in research or industry.
- Course format and assessment
Lectures; tutorials; seminars; laboratory sessions; optional career planning workshops. Assessed through: coursework; written examinations; final project report.
Via the Department’s Careers Programme, students are able to network with top employers and obtain advice on how to enhance career prospects. Our graduates have gone on to have very successful careers in industry and research. Our graduates work for software consultancy companies, specialised software development companies and the IT departments of large institutions (financial, telecommunications and public sector). Recent employers include, Ernst & Young, Accenture and M-Netics. Other graduates have entered into the field of academic and industrial research in areas such as software engineering, algorithms and computer networks.
How to apply: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees-and-funding/index.aspx