Explore the main theoretical assumptions, methods and research areas of the Political Economy of the Middle East as a discipline. Intellectual and practical skills are developed through core and optional modules which include the study of political economy theory, trade, globalization and business, the politics of development, economic ties with the EU, US and Asia, and welfare studies.
- The MA programme is unique in combining the study of political economy and Middle Eastern studies. The interdisciplinary programme enables students to analyse the political economy of the Middle East from a variety of different perspectives.
- Provides enhanced skills and qualifications for future employment and research in an increasingly important field. We offer to MA students a research methodology seminar series in addition to courses.
- Located in the heart of London and its policy, academic and think thank networks as well as being a journalistic hub, centre for international finance as well as being a world cultural centre that has close ties with the region.
- Strong intellectual and methodological foundations for further research. Research skills for archival research as well as qualitative and quantitative research methodologies for the social sciences.
- Communication skills: presenting and disseminating research in written and oral forms, to classmates, tutors, and the wider academic community.Vibrant research community, designated as a Centre of Excellence in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean Studies.
Visit the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/political-economy-of-the-middle-east-ma.aspx
- Description -
Our MA in Political Economy of the Middle East attracts a cosmopolitan mix of students from around the world who value the academic, social, economic and cultural appeal of one of Europe's most dynamic cities. It is taught by experienced research-active staff with a passion for knowledge and critical thought, and may be able to draw upon the expertise of academics from several leading departments such as European & International Studies. It is designed to provide you with an understanding of the political systems and regimes and their approaches to economic development, as well as equipping you with the relevant intellectual tools for postgraduate studies in the political economy, politics and economics of the Middle East and North Africa region.
Our programme offers an in-depth analysis of major scholarly debates in the political economy of the region through a range of interdisciplinary approaches on the core module (Political Economy of the Middle East: Theory and Practice) and then chooses from a wide range of specialist modules covering specific regions or issues relating to the politics and economics of the Middle East (political economy, economic relations, trade policies, globalisation and business, politics of development and welfare).
- Course purpose -
Our programme is ideally suited for anyone with a degree in international relations, economics, politics, international political economy and Middle Eastern studies. We also welcome recent graduates from other disciplines in the humanities, the social sciences and law, as well as those from a professional background.
- Course format and assessment -
Specialist taught modules are assessed by essay, presentation and occasionally by examination. The three-month dissertation is core and can be taken overseas or in the UK.
We expect students to go on to research in the Institute of Middle Eastern Studies or another department; others may go into teaching, journalism or the financial sector, diplomatic service and NGOs.
How to apply: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-courses.aspx
To study for a postgraduate degree at King’s College London
is to study at the city’s most central university and at one of the top 20 universities worldwide (2015/16 QS World Rankings). Graduates will benefit from close connections with the UK’s professional, political, legal, commercial, scientific and cultural life, while the excellent reputation of our MA and MRes programmes ensures our postgraduate alumni are highly sought after by some of the world’s most prestigious employers. We provide graduates with skills that are highly valued in business, government, academia and the professions.
Scholarships & Funding:
All current PGT offer-holders and new PGT applicants are welcome to apply for the scholarships. For more information and to learn how to apply visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/funding/sources
Free language tuition with the Modern Language Centre:
If you are studying for any postgraduate taught degree at King’s you can take a module from a choice of over 25 languages without any additional cost. Visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/mlc