Our MA Middle Eastern Studies course consists of expert interdisciplinary research-led teaching in contemporary history, international relations, security, culture, languages and the politics of the Mediterranean and Middle East. We offer a broad choice of modules. Students have gone on to pursue careers at the United Nations, EU, diplomatic service, journalism and the financial services.
- Enhanced skills and qualifications for future employment and research in an increasingly important field. We offer you a research methodology seminar series in addition to courses
- Unique access to unparalleled collections at the British Library, while the King’s College Library’s Special Collections possesses the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s complete book collection until 1968 on permanent loan.
- Close links with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office with ambassadors regularly speaking at King’s through our Conversation With Diplomacy series
- The Modern Language Centre offers instruction and tuition in Arabic, Turkish, Farsi and Hebrew
- Extensive links with leading practitioners in the fields of law, diplomacy, the media, the military and the NGO sector who regularly provide lectures on our MA course
Visit the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/middle-eastern-studies-ma.aspx
- Description -
Our programme offers interdisciplinary teaching in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern history, international relations, security, culture, languages and politics.
It is host to a dynamic group of students from North America, Asia, Europe, including the Balkans, and the Mediterranean and Middle East, including Egypt, Greece, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Palestinian Authority, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey and the GCC states: the Kingdom of Bahrain, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Students have gone on to pursue careers at the United Nations, European Union, diplomatic services, journalism, government and a wide variety of different NGOs.
Apart from the expertise available on the core Mediterranean programme, you can draw on the knowledge of a number of departments including Byzantine & Modern Greek, Theology & Religious Studies, language departments and the Modern Language Centre.
- Course purpose -
For students interested in developing their knowledge of the main intellectual, political and cultural trends that have flourished in the Middle East and wider Mediterranean region and which have impacted on the region in the contemporary era, from regional conflict to the involvement of the US and Europe in the area.
- Course format and assessment -
Specialist taught modules are assessed by essay, presentation and occasionally by examination. The three-month dissertation is core and can be taken overseas or in the UK.
Our students go on to pursue careers at the United Nations, European Union, diplomatic services, journalism, government and a wide variety of different NGOs, or further research in our PhD programme.
How to apply: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-courses.aspx
To study for a postgraduate degree at King’s College London
is to study at the city’s most central university and at one of the top 20 universities worldwide (2015/16 QS World Rankings). Graduates will benefit from close connections with the UK’s professional, political, legal, commercial, scientific and cultural life, while the excellent reputation of our MA and MRes programmes ensures our postgraduate alumni are highly sought after by some of the world’s most prestigious employers. We provide graduates with skills that are highly valued in business, government, academia and the professions.
Scholarships & Funding:
All current PGT offer-holders and new PGT applicants are welcome to apply for the scholarships. For more information and to learn how to apply visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/funding/sources
Free language tuition with the Modern Language Centre:
If you are studying for any postgraduate taught degree at King’s you can take a module from a choice of over 25 languages without any additional cost. Visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/mlc