Risk management is central to the successful performance of any organisation and market. The MSc in Financial Risk Management is a specialist programme that provides the analytical and technical skills associated with analysing financial risks alongside practical tools in financial risk management. The programme builds competency in analysing various risk-metrics and also examines how risk should be priced for effective financial management. This competency is supported by the use of Bloomberg Professional Services Platform and other industry-standard software throughout the programme, including the students’ hands-on access to this software.
The programme is designed for students who wish to follow a wide-range of future careers in financial risk management and finance, including analytical and risk management roles in financial institutions and financial risk management related functions in firms and public organisations. The programme also provides foundations for an academic career in finance and financial risk management.
See the website https://www.keele.ac.uk/pgtcourses/financialriskmanagementmsc/
The MSc in Financial Risk Management is designed to provide the analytical and technical skills for analysing financial risks, pricing and hedging of financial instruments and portfolio management.
The programme also builds competency in using various risk-metrics and examines how risk should be priced for effective management. The subject draws upon a number of well-established disciplines that include economics, finance, mathematics and statistics to provide a framework and also develop quantitative tools for understanding and implementing effective decision-making in real world risky environments.
Successful students will gain:
- A systematic understanding of financial risks and effective strategies for financial risk management.
- A command of analytical techniques, computing and statistical software in the relevant areas of finance and financial risk management.
- Practical skills in applying relevant analytical tools and portfolio management strategies using Bloomberg Professional Services Platform.
- Increased confidence in the analysis, synthesis and evaluation of financial decision-making problems under risk and their solutions.
- Improved employability through enhanced professional and practical skills.
- Career Destination Information:
The course provides students with career related skills and competencies that find application in a wide variety of financial contexts. Typical career destinations may include employment in the investment management industry, as a financial risk analyst within a commercial or public organisation, or as a researcher in the area of financial risk management.
Teaching & Assessment
Modules are taught in lectures, tutorials and computer laboratory classes. Practical use is made of standard software and data sources, alongside the Bloomberg Professional Services Platform.
Taught modules are usually assessed by a combination of unseen examination and coursework which may include essays, mini projects and tests. Guidance is provided on the choice of dissertation topics and each student will be assigned a supervisor who will guide the student through to completion.
Apart from additional costs for text books, inter-library loans and potential overdue library fines, we do not anticipate any additional costs for this postgraduate course.
The Graduate Attributes Statement is designed to raise awareness of the attributes that will be developed whilst you are a student at Keele University
. It explains each of the attributes in detail, tips on how to achieve them and how they relate to your chosen programme of study.
Bloomberg Professional Services and Employability
Throughout their studies at Keele, students are able to use Bloomberg Professional service for their financial market research and also hands-on practice of applying professional analytical tools and functions. Bloomberg Professional is accessible from all terminals in KMS multifunctional IT suite.
Students also gain a practical, hands-on experience of stock market trading and portfolio management by taking part in the Keele MSc student investment competition. During the competition, students make investment decisions and manage their portfolios in real time through Bloomberg Professional Platform which provides experience that is identical to trading in real life. Participants make investment decisions using real data, news and company reports in a very similar way as an equity analyst in the City or on Wall Street. The competition enables participants to:
- Develop Investment Strategies, which includes trading on these strategies and evaluating their effectiveness throughout the competition.
- Develop Research and Analytical Skills by researching the companies using fundamental data and using technical analysis to conclude the investment ideas. All these tools are available in Bloomberg.
- Keep abreast of the Latest Developments of the Market by engaging with current financial markets and following overall market trends, being mindful of mergers and acquisitions or earning releases of their target companies.
- Build Bloomberg Skills by using Bloomberg professional trading platform throughout the competition and utilizing many Bloomberg functions as part of research.
Find information on Scholarships here - http://www.keele.ac.uk/studentfunding/bursariesscholarships/
All applicants must hold at least a good Second-Class Honours degree (2.1 or 2.2) or overseas equivalent in finance, economics or other business-related subject areas demonstrating quantitative content, or in an alternative quantitative subject. Students who have appropriate professional qualifications or relevant work experience may also be considered.