About This Masters Degree
The Master in Market Research and Consumer Behavior prepares young professionals from diverse backgrounds for creative or analytical careers that involve understanding markets and consumers to help companies, non-profits and governments design and promote winning products and services.
Expertise and impact: What do market researchers do? They are the experts who run focus groups, conduct customer and voter surveys, help design and test new products and services, analyze market opportunities, study and understand social networks, help design and track advertising campaigns, and study customers and voters to understand how they think and feel.
Job opportunities: There is a large and rapidly growing demand for professionals trained in market research and consumer behavior. This program is a gateway into exciting and lucrative careers in a wide range of roles and industries, for example: market research, consumer insight, product design and development, integrated communications, psychology of marketing, advertising, consulting, political campaigns, and public policy.
Is it right for you? If you have an undergraduate degree in marketing, advertising or any of the social sciences (psychology, economics, public relations /media, communications, etc.) or applied sciences (engineering, computer science, etc.) then you already have a solid background in areas like critical thinking, problem solving, working with data, and designing and testing your ideas. This program is designed to enhance your knowledge and skills through practical, hands-on training in the methods of market research, the psychology of consumers and citizens, and the business of marketing and advertising. If you consider yourself a creative or analytical person and are interested in becoming an expert in understanding how people behave as consumers or as citizens, then this program may be a good option for you.
The Master in Market Research and Consumer Behavior is an innovative program that emphasizes the development of specific expertise and skills that are needed for career success:
- Pioneering program that combines market research and consumer behavior to give graduates a career advantage.
- Employment-focused curriculum designed in conjunction with industry professionals and based on the needs of employers.
- Provides a gateway to jobs in companies, market research and consulting firms, advertising agencies and a wide range of other employers who need professionals trained in both market research and consumer behavior.
- Interdisciplinary synergies through its partnership with IE Business School, including the entrepreneurial spirit and professional orientation of a top 10 global business school.
- World-class, up-to-date faculty that include full-time professors from across IE’s schools, as well as faculty- practitioners who are working in senior positions in market research and consumer behavior.
- Practical approach to learning that includes real-world projects enabling students to apply their knowledge and skills to enhance their value in the job market.
- IE’s innovative learning methodology that focuses on active-learning using case studies, multimedia simulators, team projects, and the most common market and consumer research tools used in industry.
- Speakers and events spanning all of IE schools that provide students a rich source of new ideas and perspectives.
- Madrid is one of Europe’s great cities and a stimulating place to live and study for 10 months.
- Global professional network comprising over 40,000 alumni in more than 100 countries.
The program consists of three core modules, each addressing an area of knowledge and skills required for professional success in the field of market research and consumer behavior. The program also includes a career preparation module that provides practical training in leadership and professional skills.
Module I: Marketing, Advertising & Communications. Courses in this business-focused module provide the foundation required for students to understand the core concepts of the marketing function as well as the core concepts of consumers and markets. This module also provides students with the critical knowledge and skills required to understand how market research and consumer psychology can drive decisions about how products and services are designed, marketed and communicated in the marketplace
Module II: Consumer Behavior. Courses in this behavior-focused module provide students with the knowledge and skills required to interpret and understand the behavior of consumers, voters and other decision makers. The module covers the psychology of consumer choice, the psychology of influence and persuasion, and behavior in social contexts, social networks and social media.
Module III: Professional Research & Analysis. The courses in this module provide practical training in both the qualitative and quantitative methods used to study and understand markets and consumers. The objective of this module is to develop professionals who are able to (i) design and conduct research (interviews, observational studies, focus groups, surveys, experiments and tests), (ii) to analyze and interpret research results, and (iii) to successfully communicate their findings to drive business and/or policy decisions.
Career Prep: Leadership & Professional Skills. The ability to communicate and to work with other people can make – or break – a person’s career. This module provides our students with training in the behavioral skills required to understand their own professional strengths, to successfully read and influence the behavior of other people, to work in teams, and to effectively communicate and sell their ideas.
To be considered for admission, a candidate should provide the following:
- Evidence of completion of a Bachelor degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university. Note: Previous exposure to undergraduate-level statistics is helpful (but not required)
- One-page CV
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official university transcripts (certified translation into English or Spanish)
- English language certificate for non-native English speakers (Cambridge Proficiency, TOEFL, IELTS, EOI). A certificate is not required if you completed an undergraduate degree in English
- Photocopy of current passport
- One passport-size photo
- Duly completed application form, including all supporting documents
- Application fee 120€ (non-refundable and payable by credit card or cash)
IE School of Social and Behavioral Sciences operates a rolling process and as such there is no deadline for applications for a particular intake. However, given the limited number of places on the program, we recommend that you initiate the application process many months or even a year in advance.
IE School of Social and Behavioral Sciences will verify application information as needed and reserves the right to deny candidates admission at any point of the application process if a discrepancy between the self-reported information and information provided through verification is noted.
See course description
€19,200 (this includes a 1,200€ contribution to the IE Foundation)