The Centre for Digestive and Gut Health at Imperial College London
has developed this unique MRes stream course, which provides core training in microbiology, nutrition, hepatology and microbial signalling, as well as analytical technologies. Students will learn about multidisciplinary approaches to systemic understanding of the gut microbiome and developing new targets for disease prevention and treatment.
This course exposes students to the latest developments in the field through two mini-research projects of 20 weeks' lab time, supplemented by lectures and journal clubs. The MRes course provides specific Gut Health teaching in microbiology, nutrition, microbial signaling and liver and gastrointestinal diseases, as well as analytical technology teaching aligned with the MRes in Biomedical Research. In addition to structured teaching, the MRes year consists of two 5-month laboratory research attachments.
Students will gain experience in applying technologically advanced approaches to biomedical questions. Individuals who successfully complete the course will have developed the ability to:
• Perform novel laboratory based research and exercise critical scientific thought in the interpretation of results
• Undertake two research projects in line with the multidisciplinary culture of the Centre
• Demonstrate practical and intellectual dexterity in the research project elements
• Develop an appreciation of cutting edge technologies discovering host-microbial communication and current understanding of this association in human health and disease by attending the taught course elements
• Be able to interpret and present scientific data
• Be able to interrogate relevant scientific literature and develop research plans
• Be able to write a grant application, through the taught grant-writing exercise
• Be able to write and defend research reports through writing, poster presentations and seminars
• Exercise a range of transferable skills by taking a minimum number of short courses taught through the Graduate School
For more information about the Centre for Digestive and Gut Health, please visit http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/centrefordigestiveandguthealth/
For more course information, please contact Dr. Jia Li (see the contact details above)
For online application, please visit https://apply.embark.com/grad/imperial/