The Oil and Gas Innovation MSc is a project-led masters programme which will equip students with the skills and competencies to generate and commercialise innovations for the oil and gas industry.
The programme is a collaboration between the Oil & Gas Innovation Centre (OGIC) and a range of Scottish Universities, including the University of Aberdeen (lead), Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde University, University of St Andrews, Glasgow Caledonian University, University of the Highlands and Islands and Robert Gordon University to develop new technologies in exploration, production and decommissioning.
The collaborative nature of this programme means that in addition to courses at Heriot-Watt's Institute of Petroleum Engineering, students will also take modules at the University of Aberdeen and the University of Strathclyde giving them the unique opportunity to benefit from the oil and gas expertise available at each of these three institutions.
The Oil and Gas Innovation MSc by Research is aimed at:
• Technical staff who have identified an innovation or have expertise likely to yield innovative solutions and want to learn how to commercialise these.
• Business developers who have identified an opportunity to innovate in the oil and gas sector and seek to understand the framework of the industry and its supply chain.
• Managers or technical staff who are seeking innovative solutions for their challenges and want to equip themselves with the knowledge and leadership skills to enable their companies to identify, validate and commercialise possible solutions.
• Graduates in engineering or science, who have the qualities and ideas required to become leaders in innovation.
About the programme
This research-led MSc will include courses taken at Heriot-Watt University
, the University of Aberdeen and the University of Strathclyde.
The project in Oil and Gas Innovation (75% of the degree) can be completed in a company or university.
• Business Essentials for Innovators (University of Strathclyde) - 10 credits
• Product Development (University of Strathclyde) - 5 credits
• Commercialising Innovation (University of Aberdeen) - 15 credits
• Technical Elective (Heriot-Watt)
• Project Scoping (Heriot-Watt)
• Project in Oil and Gas Innovation (Heriot-Watt) - 120 credits
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
We offer a range of English language courses: http://www.hw.ac.uk/study/english.htm
Applicants should have a 2:1 (upper second class) UK Honours degree (or an Honours degree from a non-UK institution which is judged by the University to be of equivalent worth) in an Engineering or Science subject. Those with alternative qualifications and substantial relevant experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.