Real Estate Investment and Finance is designed to give you a broad knowledge and understanding of property within national and international investment markets and with the skills needed to research, analyse and advise on investment decisions accordingly. It provides those from varied professional and academic backgrounds with an entry into the real estate profession while also enhancing the knowledge and skills of those already employed in the field. Including complementary courses in other aspects of economics and the built environment, this programme gives students an intensive, diverse and well-rounded education.
On completion of this programme graduates will be able to:
· Convey knowledge and understanding of, and apply specialist skills within, scientific, technical and business areas of landed property, and real estate investment.
· Draw upon a sound foundation of knowledge and understanding of the practices and procedures of surveying and the property industry.
· Demonstrate sophisticated intellectual and research skills proficient for a professional career.
· Evaluate complex problems and formulate original ideas and proposals relevant to the real estate investment market.
· Appreciate the values, ethics, responsibilities and rules governing professional general practice surveying, and the need for professional integrity when advising clients.
This MSc programme is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
For the MSc, students undertake eight taught courses plus the research dissertation. Students on the Diploma programme take eight taught courses. Students can opt to complete a total of four courses and graduate with the Heriot-Watt University
Postgraduate Certificate. Each taught course represents 150 hours of student effort and the dissertation represents 600 hours.
· Real Estate Economics
· Real Estate Appraisal and Valuation 1
· Macroeconomics, Finance and Built Environment
· Spatial Planning (Edinburgh)
· International Planning and Property Law (Distance Learning/Dubai)
· Real Estate Investment Analysis
· International Property Markets and Investment
· Real Estate Appraisal and Valuation 2
· Real Estate Development
The programme is offered on a full time study basis (12 months) or part time on a day-release basis (24 months). The programme is also offered via attendance-free distance learning.
Many of our distance learning students are in highly demanding employment. These students can opt to reduce the level of study per year and increase the study period to a maximum of seven years.
Arrangements can be made for distance learning students to sit exams at a number of centres throughout the world. Students receive comprehensive course study packs by post. A PC with e-mail and Internet access is necessary for those students to gain the fullest learning experience from the programme.
This programme is aimed at those who aspire to, or are already working in the real estate investment market. Students come from a range of backgrounds in international professional practice, consultancy and the public sector and use the knowledge and skills gained in this internationally recognised postgraduate qualification to enhance their career development in their chosen field. In addition, the programme’s modular structure assists students in contributing effectively to meet the CPD requirements of their professional bodies. This programme has been developed to provide graduates with a broad knowledge and understanding of property as an asset class within national and international investment markets and with the skills needed to research, analyse and advise on investment decisions accordingly.
Graduates of this programme are highly sought after in the real estate industry, and some of our graduates have gone on to work within companies such as Standard Life and Scottish Widows, and for major consultancies Jones Lang LaSalle, CBRE and Cushman & Wakefield.
2:2 or suitable professional qualification and experience. English language requirements: If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme. Please note that independent distance learning students who access their studies online will be expected to have access to a PC/laptop and internet.