The Department of Mathematical Sciences offers a professionally oriented Master’s of Arts degree program in statistics. The lively and versatile curriculum focuses on training that is applicable in the real world, and the program aims to prepare skillful statisticians for professional careers in industry. The track includes an integral lab component that emphasizes the practice of contemporary data analysis and exposes students to methods, software and theory commonly used in applications of statistics.
The MA is designed to provide students with a solid foundation of practical knowledge to work with statistics in depth, for future careers in the public and private sectors as statistical scientists, consultants and engineers to manage and analyze data. The program requires courses specific to the area of applied statistics, and the student is required to finish 10 courses and two 1-credit capstone seminars for a total of 42 credits. An exit exam or final thesis is not required.
Driven by the ever-greater reliance of businesses and governments on data, the demand for professionals with strong quantitative analytical skills is now higher than ever. Program graduates will be trained to pursue careers in a variety of fields that require data-crunching and quantitative analysis. Well-trained statisticians and data scientists are employed in the following roles in a wide spectrum of industries:
◾quants (and traders)
◾production/manufacturing quality control managers
◾biomedical, biometrics, and bioinformatics researchers
◾biostatisticians in pharmaceutical industry
◾government statisticians (census)
- Online graduate degree application and application fee
- Transcripts from each college/university which you attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (2-3 pages) describing your reasons for pursuing graduate study, your career aspirations, your special interests within your field, and any unusual features of your background that might need explanation or be of interest to your program's admissions committee
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages)
- Official GRE scores
And, for international applicants:
- International Student Financial Statement form
- Official bank statement/proof of support
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
The Masters of Science degree program in Business Analytics (MS-BA) is designed to meet the rising national and international demand of businesses for professionals who can collect, analyze, and interpret the avalanche of data created in the context of economic activity.
This unique program will: