The Department of Music offers graduate studies leading to the master of music degree. Students may specialize in composition, music history or performance (instrumental, vocal, opera, conducting).
The graduate music program is small, and students receive personal attention from faculty, as well as quality performance opportunities.
Our opera program boasts a professional affiliation with the Tri-Cities Opera (TCO). Opera students are members of the TCO Resident Artist Training Program, where they gain professional experience while completing their studies. Our graduates have gone on to perform in major opera houses around the world.
Graduate Degrees Offered
*MM with track in Opera (associated with the Tri-Cities Opera Company)
* MM with emphasis in one of the following:
- History and Literature
- Instrumental performance
- Vocal performance
All applicants must submit the following:
- Online graduate degree application and application fee
- Transcripts from each college/university you have attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (2-3 pages) describing your reasons for pursuing graduate study, your career aspirations, your special interests within your field, and any unusual features of your background that might need explanation or be of interest to your program's admissions committee.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae detailing educational and professional experience
- The GRE is only required for applicants pursuing Music History and Literature emphasis.
- A live audition/interview is also required. For international applicants, the department will consider online audition/interviews via SKYPE or similar technology (contact the graduate director for details).
And, for international applicants:
- International Student Financial Statement form
- Official bank statement/proof of support
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores
Depending on your desired track or emphasis, you must also submit the following:
- Composition applicants:
*Minimum of two manuscripts and/or recordings of compositions, preferably for differing performing genres. Electronic scores prepared with Finale or Sibelius preferred; hard copies accepted
*Recorded sample of compositions (if possible); live performance recordings preferred
- Conducting applicants:
*Preliminary screening DVD of rehearsal and/or performance conducting an instrumental or vocal ensemble (10-30 minutes)
*A (recent) recording sample, highlighting either:
*the candidate's major instrument
*voice; including a minimum of two composition(s) in contrasting styles
- History and Literature applicants:
*Minimum one writing sample (a research paper in music); two (or more) desirable
- Instrumental Performance applicants:
*Preliminary screening CD or DVD, including a minimum of two compositions in contrasting styles
- Opera and Vocal Performance applicants:
*Preliminary screening CD or DVD, including a minimum of four compositions in contrasting styles (one each in English, French, German and Italian)
*Opera/oratorio and song literature should be included