The internationally recognised Camborne School of Mines is offering a brand new Mining Professional Programme, comprising a suite of courses for international mining staff giving an insight into every part of the mining business.
You will start by getting a flexible, industry-relevant immersion into the mining value chain and this can be followed by more detailed study of Mining Engineering: an integrated postgraduate programme delivered by mining experts and aligned with industry needs.
This is the future of mining education; industry aligned courses, learning while you work, forming interdisciplinary industry wide professional networks and exposure to diverse international mining practices.
Open to experienced mining industry staff; even without degrees but with appropriate experience, the course opens up the entire mining value chain, from finance, mineral deposit geology and exploration through mining and mineral processing methods to environmental & social impacts and mine closure.
The overall aim is to equip students with the business knowledge of the entire mining pipeline and the technical knowledge to support career progression in the area of mining operations. Students will gain interdisciplinary mine-site problem solving, and critical industry insight.
The programme is suitable for mining, engineering and geology graduates currently employed in the minerals industry, and other commercial and technical mining staff with suitable experience. The course cohort will ideally comprise those with widely differing roles across the mining industry. The blended learning approach allows these industry staff to undertake accredited educational studies while maintaining their industry work roles.
In addition to gaining the headline qualification, the programme will also deliver the following unique benefits:
• The course is particularly designed for those currently working in industry
• Establishing networks with industry professionals and across specialisms
• Opportunity to view world class mines during the mine study tour
• A value chain view of the mining industry
• Industry focused using real world case studies and examples
• Involves both technical and professional skills development
Diverse course delivery methods and assessment types are utilized to develop well-rounded Mining Professionals with broad industry knowledge.
This programme provides a robust understanding of the complete mining life cycle, from exploration and development to extraction and processing methods to waste management and mine closure. It is an excellent programme for new entrants into the mining business as a fast-track career induction.
The following are examples of the modules you might expect to study;
• Module 1 - Discovery: Introduction to the Mining Value Chain; Introduction to Geology, Rock Properties and Ore Forming Processes; Mineral Exploration; The Mining Business and Mineral Economics.
• Module 2 - Design: Deposit Evaluation and Resource Estimation; Introduction to Mining Methods and Mine Method Selection; Mine Planning and Mine Construction and Pre-production Decision Making
• Module 3 - Recovery: Principles of Surface Mining Operations; Principles of Underground Mining Operations; Mineral Processing; Mine Waste Management and Mineral Products
• Module 4 - Impacts: Environmental and Social Impacts of Mining; Economic Impacts of Mining (downstream and side stream investment); Mine Closure and Remediation and Corporate and Social Responsibility and the License to Operate
The modules we outline here provide examples of what you can expect to learn on this degree course based on recent academic teaching. The precise modules available to you in future years may vary depending on staff availability and research interests, new topics of study, timetabling and student demand. Please see the website for up to date information http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/mining-engineering/pgcert-mining-professional/#Programme-structure