Organizations are seeking to create new products and consumers are demanding green alternatives. This has given rise to many opportunities to develop green, sustainable products and chemistries to replace oil-based products and fuels. These include pharmaceuticals, food packaging, clothing and building materials, as well as cutting-edge carbon nanofibers and biofuels. UBC is a world leader in creating innovative value from forest biomass, and graduates of this program will take their place as technical leaders and sector specialists in this growing industry.
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Green Bio-Products is an intensive one-year degree program that will equip you with the technical and leadership skills required to contribute to the growing bio-economy. The project-based curriculum covers all stages of the industry value chain. Graduates will gain a comprehensive and integrated understanding of the chemistry and anatomy of the tree and its role as one of the most prolific forms of biomass. While 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
The MEL in Green Bio-Products degree was developed in close collaboration with industry partners, who told us they need to hire leaders with cross-functional technical and business skills to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects.
Students will develop the sector-relevant cross-disciplinary technical skills in demand by top employers. Distinct from other programs in Canada and internationally, the combination of technical expertise and leadership development makes the MEL in Green Bio-Products program unique and highly relevant in today’s business environment.
To complement your academic studies, professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover a range of topics such as:
-Giving and receiving feedback
-Learning how to deliver a successful pitch
The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally, equipped to take on challenging roles in this rapidly evolving sector. They will be participating in developing advanced technical processes, product ideation and take on senior management roles. As a graduate of this program, you will have the skills to take your career to the next level – working as an industry leader who is a peer to your engineering team members and confidently managing projects.
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Clean Energy Engineering is designed for engineers and environmental science graduates who want to make their sustainable vision a reality and advance their careers in the in-demand field of clean energy.
Technical specialization in the areas of sustainable energy generation, energy transmission, distribution and storage, and efficient energy use are key components of the curriculum. Combined with strong leadership and business skills, this program will help you to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects - a skill set that is highly relevant in today’s business environment.
As we improve existing technologies and transition to more sustainable energy systems, clean energy technologies will become increasingly vital to the world’s energy mix. Industry and government are critically dependent on hiring talented technical leaders who can develop innovative and practical solutions..
The MEL is a 12 month program with a 60 per cent focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business. Please contact us if you would like to find out more about the MEL in Clean Energy Engineering.
It only takes 12 months to complete the program and get an MEL degree. Starting in January, in the Clean Energy Engineering program, you will:
MEL students are required to have professional experience before starting the program. That means you will be part of a mature student cohort with a variety of professional and career experiences to draw on when you collaborate on projects with one another. Access to this diversity of knowledge and experience is essential to your development.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally, with government and industry employers constantly seeking experts in the field who can develop new processes and systems. Read some of our alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Clean Energy Engineering degree. Graduates of the program started in positions, such as Project Manager, Business Development, Energy Officer, Energy Engineer, Energy Specialist.