How does a disease develop in a patient or model system? Which substances can influence this process? How is effective medication designed and tested? Can you cure diseases with stem cells?
You study the causes and pathophysiology of diseases and intervention with drugs. The programme is interdisciplinary covering the whole range of drug development disciplines. From basic drug target discovery to molecular modeling of targets. And from synthesis andanalysis, pharmacology, toxicology and biopharmacy to clinical pharmacoepidemiology and post marketing surveillance.
The main feature of the programme are research projects in which you will learn about conducting research by actually doing it. You will independently perform experiments and go through the whole process of conducting science developing skills such as studying scientific literature, formulating hypotheses, designing and performing experiments, and interpreting and presenting your results. The programme therefore is a good preparation for a PhD programme or for independent practice of science in a future job.
You can either choose to design your programme tailored to your individual research interest or choose a specialisation. Available specialisations:Toxicology and Drug Disposition, with focus on adverse drug reactions and toxicokinetics of drugs, or Pharmacoepidemiology which studies intended and unintended effects of drugs in daily life.
Why in Groningen?
- Groningen drug research is among the best in the world
- Unique interdisciplinary cooperation between clinical, preclinical and pharmaceutical research fields
- Specialisations: Toxicology and Drug Disposition | Pharmacoepidemiology
When you have finished the Master's programme in Medical Pharmaceutical Sciences you have multiple career options. You are optimally prepared to start a research career but you can also choose for a position that links science to business and policy.
Researcher (usually as a PhD) in a variety of organisations:
- Academic and general hospitals
- Pharmaceutical, biomedical industries and food industries
Positions linking medical pharmaceutical sciences to a business or policy strategy in:
- Governmental and semi-governmental institutions such as the Medicines Evaluation Board or the Ministry of Health and Welfare
- Societal and patient organisations