The strengths of Leiden University’s Master’s programme in North American Studies lie particularly in African-American history and literature, U.S. political history and foreign policy, immigrant and ethnic studies in the U.S., and (public) memory and memorialization (for example of 9/11). Although some attention is paid to Canada and Mexico in a number of courses, the main focus in this program is on the United States.
Visit the website: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/north-american-studies/en/introduction
Why choose North American Studies at Leiden University?
- Explore major issues in the history, literature and culture of US, as well as undertaking in-depth studies of specific historical and literary topics.
- Study at a leading international centre of research in American Studies.
- Apply the integrated approach to North American Studies and discover connections between historical events and cultural and literary developments.
Students who graduate in American Studies will be able to:
- critically analyse American historical and literary texts, and place them in a cultural and historical context;
- conduct independent multidisciplinary research in the field of American Studies (including Canada), thereby showing the ability to comprehend and apply relevant theoretical insights and methodological approaches;
- apply knowledge of North American history, literature and culture, to contemporary social, political, literary and cultural developments.
Leiden American Studies graduates go on to a variety of careers in teaching, journalism, politics, government, publishing and research. Recent graduates in American Studies are:
- involved in education: teaching at high schools or in higher education,
- pursuing a Ph.D. at Dutch universities, or are graduate students at American universities,
- employed in radio and television, for example in production teams for news programmes,
- employed as government policy-makers, or have business careers,
- employed in translation and publishing.
- In general, American Studies graduates find jobs in fields that require general academic training and skills, and for which an extensive knowledge of U.S. history, politics, or culture is useful or recommended.
How to apply: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/arrange/admission
For information regarding funding, please visit the website: http://prospectivestudents.leiden.edu/scholarships