Innovation Design Engineering (IDE) is a double Masters that has been run jointly with Imperial College London for over 35 years. It is a leading-edge, creative product development course that involves experimentation, design, engineering and enterprise activities.
Innovation Design Engineering (IDE) is a double Masters that has been run jointly with Imperial College London for over 35 years. It is a leading-edge, creative product development course that involves experimentation, design, engineering and enterprise activities. In multidisciplinary teams or as individuals, participants work at the centre of complex, demanding projects with an emphasis on prototyping and proving propositions. The programme is external facing and encourages all to tackle important real-world issues involving advanced technical, design and social parameters. We believe that design is a verb not a noun.
The programme offers
- a unique double Master's MA Royal College of Art/MSc Imperial College London (students are fully enrolled at both institutions)
- a vibrant creative studio space for all MA/MSc students and a new research studio, both situated at the RCA with a diverse and international mix of students
- teaching staff who are highly experienced practitioners and work professionally in their field
- multiple commercial connections (recent projects have included Ford, Coca Cola, Airbus, BBC, Unilever, Vodafone (Future agenda), LG, Guzzini)
- good links and involvement in enterprise and commercialisation teaching or support through Design London Fellowships and InnovationRCA incubator
- student bursary support through The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 and the James Dyson Foundation
- international exchanges, connections and student modules organised annually in different countries (recent visits include India, Japan, Thailand, China and Ghana)
- graduate destinations, alumni working at high level in businesses such as Apple, Nokia, Philips and self-started commercial enterprises including Takram, Bare Conductive and Omlet.