This programme is for engineering graduates aspiring to responsible positions within aerospace, automotive and general mechanical engineering companies. It is also ideal for engineers holding a BEng degree that require a further learning element to qualify for Chartered Engineer registration.
About the programme
This programme is designed to deepen and widen your knowledge and understanding of mechanical engineering specialist topics. It offers a wide range of core modules that advances the core knowledge base of the disciplines and provides the necessary and continuing development of appropriate interpersonal and transferable skills at a level that a Mechanical Engineer would be expected to have, allowing you to function in an advanced engineering environment as senior engineers and managers. While the main focus of the programme is on taught modules, you will have the opportunity to explore a specific subject in more detail through the dissertation.
The programme will be delivered by highly-qualified and experienced members of the School’s teaching staff through a combination of lectures, tutorials, practical classes, laboratories, case studies and specialist guest lectures. Assessment is principally by coursework assignments, laboratory investigations and examinations.
A key component of the programme is the research based dissertation. This will give you the opportunity to investigate a project in your chosen field of interest.
You will also be expected to present your work to internal staff and external industrialists as part of the learning and assessment process.
Core modules include:
- Advanced Structural Integrity
- Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- Computational Fluid Mechanics
- Advanced Finite Element Methods and Analysis
- Instrumentation and Measurement
- Advanced CAD/CAM
- Advanced Heat Transfer
- Composites Design and Analysis
- Project Management
- Research Methods.
Our Careers Adviser says
Our graduates will have developed expertise to improve their employability within design and development of the automotive, aerospace, offshore, oil and gas and all main stream mechanical engineering industry sectors.
It is expected that graduates will obtain professional employment with companies such as Rolls Royce, Howdens, Doosan Babcock, Babcock International, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems, and Thales Optronics.
The programme has been designed to satisfy the accreditation requirements of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) for CEng registration and we will be seeking this accreditation in the near future.
Our recently upgraded facilities will ensure you’re equipped to deal with the requirements of industry:
• Recent investment in new laboratories for engineering and physics will further enhance our reputation for applied interdisciplinary research
• Paisley Campus – fully equipped manufacturing workshop; materials testing and analysis facilities; metrology laboratory; rapid prototyping centre; and assembly and welding laboratories
• Significant investment in facilities for thin film technologies, micro-scale sensors and nuclear physics research
• Lanarkshire Campus – £2.1 million engineering centre, with particular focus on the design and engineering disciplines opened in 2008
• Both Lanarkshire and Paisley campuses have modern, dedicated IT facilities utilising a range of industrial applications software such as PRO/Engineer, Ansys, Fluent, WITNESS and MS Project.