This programme offers a contemporary and specialised approach to accountancy and finance, focussing on the exploration of key practical, theoretical and empirical issues. It is designed for students who wish to pursue a career in the financial services industry, professional accountancy, banking and finance or management.
* Acquire a deep knowledge and understanding of key theories, approaches and issues in the fields of accounting and finance
* Enhance your career prospects with an understanding of the complexity of policies and practices in accounting and finance and their similarities and differences in different jurisdictions
* This sector is closely regulated and has changed significantly since the economic changes of 2008. Accountancy and reporting needs to fit in with the latest developments required by local, national and European government
* A specialised practical and theoretical education in an environment of academic excellence
* Accountancy graduates have amongst the highest income levels of any graduates
Why study with us?
The programme brings together two highly-respected schools of Queen Mary, University of London. The School of Business and Management is rapidly building a strong reputation for a distinctive approach, in particular our focus on the inter-disciplinary nature of business and management. The School entered the RAE for the first time in 2008 with outstanding success, ranking joint 25th out of 90 Business Schools. This result is the highest ever recorded first-time entry.
The School of Economics and Finance contributes its huge knowledge of applied aspects of the financial market. The School of Economics and Finance is one of the top Economics schools in the country, ranked joint sixth in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise.
* Tuition from visiting 'practitioner' professors who are City professionals and able to apply theory to real world scenarios
* Additional optional modules designed to equip students with the key technical skills which employers will look for
* Queen Mary runs the MSc Investment Club to gain hands-on experience in trading and portfolio analysis. The investment club operates as a micro-fund and provides students with the chance to familiarise themselves with the financial world. Every student is guaranteed both trader and analyst related work
You will have access to facilities and equipment, including:
* Applied analysis software
* Subscription to Datastream
* Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) which includes Bankscope and CRSP
* Data Analysis simulation software
* Bloomberg subscription
* Macrobond - data charting and analytical application
* 2 school computer labs
* 70 pcs and designated printers
* Postgraduate micro lab (specialised econometric software)
On graduating, you will be able to use the knowledge and skills acquired to work in the financial sector.
You will develop a unique set of skills and knowledge, including;
* High level accountancy and numeracy skills
* Project management skills
* Up-to-date working knowledge of the latest regulations
* Cognitive skills such as analysis, synthesis and the evaluation of knowledge
* Qualitative and quantitative research methodology
* Personal skills including presentation skills, argumentation, evaluation, problem solving, interactive and group skills, self-appraisal and autonomy in planning and management of learning
Where Accounting Finance graduates work
Graduates of this programme are well-placed to take up careers in accountancy and financial management in private, public and Third Sector firms.
Some typical job roles include; business manager and accountant.
Continuing onto further research
This Masters programme prepares the graduate for employment rather than research, however, should you aspire to further study, both Schools have research excellences that you may wish to follow, for example; Business History and Economic regulations, Finance and Economic Theory.
Our links with industry
A number of our modules are taught by visiting 'practitioner' professors who are also City professionals and apply theory to real world scenarios, providing real insight with their valuable and unique practical experience.
Careers support from Queen Mary
QM Careers provides careers information, advice and guidance to all students of the College on everything from choosing a career to finding work. We run employer events on campus, manage full and part-time vacancy information and offer one-to-one careers advice; practice interviews, CV checks, psychometric test preparation and lots more.
We are part of The Careers Group, University of London the largest careers service in the country, and we are accredited by the Matrix quality standard which assures quality of advice, information and guidance.