Our MSc in Finance and Investment has been developed to produce practical and proactive finance specialists, able to meet the demand of the financial sector both locally and abroad.
The programme offers rigorous and advanced intellectual training in the area of finance and investment, based on the most current and modern academic thinking and industry best practice. We also place emphasis on our students’ roles in and duties towards the financial community to prepare them for life after they graduate.
Our MSc Finance and Investment offers a well-focused education in the theories and methodologies that are utilised today for valuation using financial tools from both the investor’s and institutional perspective. It also examines the complexities behind the decision making processes required at all levels.
Who is this programme suitable for?
The programme is designed for students who intend to pursue a career in the financial sector who have recently acquired their bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, investment and banking related fields. It is for those who wish to enhance their knowledge of managing and working in organisations within an array of competing economic, social, political and cultural conditions.
Students will be required to successfully complete 6 core modules and complete a written dissertation.
Our MSc has a unique feature – it provides the opportunity for students to attempt the CFA Level 1 examination (optional) while completing the MSc qualification and support will be provided.
This Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) qualification, adds the professional context to the postgraduate degree and develop skills and capabilities required by investment analysts, finance managers, finance directors and chief financial officers.
Modules available on the programme are:
• Financial Analysis & Portfolio Modelling (30 units)
• Financial Reporting & Analysis (30 units)
• Derivatives and Financial Risk Management (15 units)
• Economic Analysis (15 units)
• Ethical & Professional Standards (15 units)
• Empirical Techniques in Finance 1 & 2 (30 units)
• Dissertation (45 units)
Buckingham Business School offers excellent facilities and resources to the postgraduate students including:
• Real Time Data Software: Thomson Reuters EIKON.
• Time Series Database: A full range of economic and financial data is available through DataStream.
• Statistical Analysis Software: A wide range of Econometric software including SPSS, EVIEWS, Stata and Matlab.
Assistance towards registration will be provided to students who wish to attempt the CFA while studying for their MSc in Finance & Investment degree.