Do you want to unravel the fundamental processes in living cells? Do you want to understand 'life' at a molecular level? Do you want to explore applications based on basic molecular research?
Molecular Biology and Biotechnology are internationally oriented research and business areas that profit from a strong multidisciplinary knowledge on structural biology, biochemistry, molecular cell biology, genetics, microbiology and systems biology. During this programme, you acquire in-depth knowledge and skills via upperlevel theoretical and practical training. You become highly competent in the field of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, with excellent perspectives for an independent career in an academic or industrial research environment.
The programme is mainly organized by the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB) and is closely related to research institute. Research is fundamental and curiosity-driven and contains specialisation in the following areas:
- Molecular Systems Biology
- Molecular Cell Biology of Complex Biological Processes
- Membrane Proteins
- Structure-function Relationships of Proteins
- Microbial Biotechnology and Biocatalysis
- Chemical and Synthetic Biology
Why in Groningen?
- Connected to research institute GBB, which maintains a strong international reputation and covers the field of systems, chemical, and synthetic biology
- Internationally oriented research and business area
- Excellent MSc students from Molecular Biology & Biotechnology may apply during their first year for the selective Top programme Biomolecular Sciences
Biomolecular scientists, graduates of the Master's degree programme in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, can pursue a career in:
- PhD in the areas of Biomolecular Sciences, Life Science, Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, and Bio(nano-)technology
- R&D position within Life Sciences Industry
- Scientific Advisor within a company