The PgCert / PgDip / MSc in Therapeutics is designed for medical practitioners, pharmacists, specialist nurses, and others who wish to gain further expertise in the practical management of common therapeutic problems.
The course arises from a leading research centre and aims to encourage critical thinking and to equip students not only with practical and factual knowledge, but also provide a basic approach to therapeutic problems, encouraging attitudes and abilities which will be of lasting value in dealing with future advances in therapy.
• Problem orientated, evidence-based learning specifically designed to be of direct relevance to practice.
• Distance-learning, delivered entirely online. You can choose when and where to study, at home, at work or on the move.
• Targeted fortnightly reading guided by aims and outcomes for the period.
• Audio interviews and presentations are available to download.
• We are also recognised as a major research centre. Advances in therapeutics have been pioneered in Cardiff, including methods for optimal use of anticoagulants, antiarrhythmic drugs and anticonvulsants.
The Postgraduate Certificate consists of one stage: stage T.
Stage T - This stage lasts for one academic year and consists of three 20-credit modules totalling 60 credits, at Level 7.
Foundation in Clinical Therapeutics
Safe Prescribing in Practice
The management of chronic illnesses in practice: Dermatology, Respiratory, Gastrointestinal and Gynaecology
At the end of stage T, students who have obtained a minimum of 60 credits at Level 7, including the award of credit for all required modules, may exit with the award of Postgraduate Certificate or may apply to progress to the Postgraduate Diploma.
The course can be completed in one year with full-time distance learning or in two years by part-time distance learning.
There are two stages to the Postgraduate Diploma course: T1, the first taught stage, and T2, second taught stage.
Stage T1 - This stage consists of three 20-credit modules totalling 60 credits, at Level 7.
Stage T2 - This stage consists of a further three 20 credit modules totalling 60 credits, at Level 7, to achieve a total of 120 credits to complete the Postgraduate Diploma course.
Same core modules as PgCert PLUS
The management of chronic illnesses in practice: Pain, Musculoskeletal and Endocrine
The management of chronic illnesses in practice: Psychotherapy, Neurology and the Eye
At the end of stage T2, students who have obtained a minimum of 120 credits at Level 7, including the award of credit for all required modules, will be eligible for the award of Postgraduate Diploma, or they may apply to enter the MSc course.
Entry to the MSc (dissertation stage) is available to a selected number of candidates only, on a part-time basis only, and eligibility is dependent upon successful completion of the Cardiff University Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutics to an acceptable standard.
Once accepted on to the MSc, candidates complete a formative research methods module and a 20,000 word dissertation. The research dissertation stage lasts for one academic year (part-time).
The taught stage in-course assessment is delivered and submitted via Learning Central™. Assessment for each module is carried out by one formative case study and one summative objective assessment (e.g. multiple-choice questions) exercise each fortnight, together with a summative written assignment. The written assignment may take the form of an essay, a piece of portfolio learning or a task such as a practice audit.
The formative case studies encourage candidates to reflect on their own practice, the evidence base, and any national or local guidelines which cover the topic. Responses to the case study are analysed and feedback is provided in a report that follows. This provides candidates with an opportunity to assess their clinical practice and compare it with that of their peers.
The summative objective assessment is marked in-house and feedback and explanations of the correct answers are provided to the students. This element is worth 30% of the marks for each module. The written task is marked by one of the programme markers and then moderated by a member of the course team; this contributes the remaining 70% of the marks for the module.
The course aims to equip you with a sound understanding of the management of common medical conditions and to develop skills in evidence-based medicine. Graduates would be expected to gain the skills and expertise necessary to become the ‘local therapeutics expert’.
Many graduates of this course have gone on to hold senior positions in clinical and governmental organisations.