Advances in biomedicine, neuroscience, and public health raise some of the most difficult ethical and societal questions today. The Bioethics & Society programme allows you to study these questions drawing on concepts, theories, and methods from philosophy and the social sciences. This will enable you to understand how bioethics influences the world, and how you could make an impact.
• The only U.K. programme to be based in a social science department: we do Bioethics AND Society, Bioethics IN Society, we are not confined to the ivory towers of academia!
• Covers a broad range of ethical issues in clinical practice, biomedical research, genetics & reproduction, health policy & public health, and neuroscience & mental health
• Offers rigorous training in qualitative or quantitative research methods and empirical ethics
• Provides skilled supervision to develop competence in executing a small-scale independent dissertation research project
• Provides internship opportunities to enhance students’ employability and career opportunities
• Collaborates with other departments at King’s to serve students’ individual needs and interests and create exciting career streams of optional modules
• Collaborates closely with King's College Careers & Employability Office to enhance the employability of our students with targeted sessions
• Possibility to complete a PG Diploma (coursework only) or PG Certificate (selected coursework)
• A rich programme of guest lectures and seminars within the Department of Social Science, Health & Medicine and the College, including the KCL / UCL Joint Bioethics Colloquium, and the SSHM Seminar Series, enhances students’ learning experience, and networking opportunities.
• The programme is offered as a 1-year full time / 2-year part-time Masters, 1-year PG Diploma (only course-work), and a 6-month PG Certificate (selected course-work).
Visit the website: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/bioethics-and-society-ma-pg-dip-pg-cert.aspx
- Description -
With immediate access to King’s hospitals and laboratories, and close to government, health policy think-tanks, patient advocacy groups, medical and scientific societies, and the private health sector, we offer a unique ‘real-world’ approach to bioethics, allowing students to understand the social and political contexts in which bioethical controversies arise and proposed solutions are developed. In the course of their studies, students are equipped with essential knowledge and skills to make a contribution to resolving bioethical problems. In addition, internship opportunities enable students to gather practical insights and to build professional networks.
- Course format and assessment -
All modules are run as seminars, with a mixture of formal presentation by the instructor and active discussion among members of the seminar. Instructors are also available outside of seminars. Students will have personal guidance from a specific instructor during the dissertation phase. Assessment occurs through a mix of examinations, written work (formative and summative essays) and presentations.
Students who complete the Bioethics & Society programme to a high standard are expected to have numerous career paths open to them. For example, in government, national and international NGOs concerned with medicine and health, as ethics consultants in hospitals and pharmaceutical companies, and in think-tanks. Students can also continue on to a PhD in bioethics or social sciences. The programme also enhances existing careers in clinical practice, biomedical research, public health, or health policy. We collaborate closely with the Careers & Employability Office at King's College London to enhance the employability of our students, and we organise targeted Careers sessions with guest-speakers from relevant fields.
How to apply: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/taught-courses.aspx
About Postgraduate Study at King’s College London:
To study for a postgraduate degree at King’s College London is to study at the city’s most central university and at one of the top 20 universities worldwide (2015/16 QS World Rankings). Graduates will benefit from close connections with the UK’s professional, political, legal, commercial, scientific and cultural life, while the excellent reputation of our MA and MRes programmes ensures our postgraduate alumni are highly sought after by some of the world’s most prestigious employers. We provide graduates with skills that are highly valued in business, government, academia and the professions.
Scholarships & Funding:
All current PGT offer-holders and new PGT applicants are welcome to apply for the scholarships. For more information and to learn how to apply visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/funding/sources
Free language tuition with the Modern Language Centre:
If you are studying for any postgraduate taught degree at King’s you can take a module from a choice of over 25 languages without any additional cost. Visit: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/mlc