The UK Institute and Faculty of Actuaries accredits the MSc in Actuarial Management course. Indeed, Cass Business School was the first institution in the UK to have both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes fully accredited by the UK Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
Consequently, the course allows you to study the key areas of actuarial practice whilst also offering the opportunity to gain exemptions from the examinations of the UK Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.
In particular, students are able to gain exemptions in Actuarial Risk Management (Subject CA1), Communications (Subject CA3) and most of the Specialist Technical (or ST) subjects*
In addition, students who have outstanding Core Technical (or CT) subjects are able to gain exemptions in many of these also (covers Subjects CT2, CT4, CT5, CT6 and CT8 only).
The MSc in Actuarial Management also provides a good foundation for students preparing for examinations of the professional bodies in other countries (including the United States, Canada and Australia).
Visit the website: http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/courses/masters/courses/actuarial-management/2017
The MSc in Actuarial Management programme starts with a compulsory induction focused on:
- A refresher course of advanced financial mathematics, statistics, computing and electronic databases.
- An introduction to the Cass Careers offering with a focus on key skills and attributes that employers are looking for. The annual MSc Careers Fair at this time also provides the opportunity to meet over 60 companies who are recruiting across many sectors including finance, energy, insurance, real estate, shipping, strategic management and internal auditing.
The Masters Actuarial Management course is delivered through:
- face-to-face lectures from qualified actuaries (and other experts in the field)
- dedicated online support
- ready access to faculty members
- advice on exam techniques
Full-time and part-time
The full-time version of the MSc in Actuarial Management, which is completed over one academic year, requires students to attend lectures which amount to two days per week.
Alternatively, the part-time version of the course, which is completed over two academic years, has been designed to fit with the study leave packages commonly offered by actuarial employers. As a result, part-time students are required to attend lectures which amount to one day per week during term time over the two years.
Faculty members include a significant number of qualified actuaries and other experts in range of wider fields, who use their commercial experience and current research interests to inform their teaching.
There is a continuous demand for capable postgraduate level students in the actuarial profession, whose members are among the highest paid in the UK. There are around 9,000 qualified actuaries in the UK, working in fields such as; Insurance companies (life/non life departments), consulting firms, government departments, banks and investment firms, teaching and research.
Some examples of where graduates from the MSc in Actuarial Management class of 2014 are working are:
• Retirement Benefits Authority - Actuarial Officer
• KPMG - Senior Associate
• Citbank - Management Trainee
• Aon Hewitt Limited - Associate Consultant
How to apply
Apply here: http://www.city.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/applying-to-city
For information on funding, please follow this link: http://www.city.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/funding-and-financial-support