Materials Science and Engineering offers interdisciplinary programs leading to the degrees of master of science and doctor of philosophy. Established in 2002, the program offers both the MS and PhD degree in materials science and engineering. While the program is relatively young, the participating departments and faculty on campus have an extensive legacy of research and of offering relevant materials science and engineering academic training.
From the smallest of the small to the opposite end of the spectrum, our students develop a foundation in the principles of materials science, selecting an atomic/nano approach or a bulk/macro approach. This foundation is then coupled with specialized knowledge in one area of materials, such as: energy production, storage and transmission; nanomaterials for a range of applications; electronic materials with a specialization in flexible electronics; biomaterials; modeling and mechanical behavior.
Recent doctoral graduate placements include: Post Doctoral Fellowship at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Reliability Engineer for Microsoft Corporation, Research Scientist for Toyota, Senior Research Engineer at LG Electronics, Post Doctoral Fellowship at Northwest National Lab, Senior Process Engineer at Global Foundries
Graduate Degrees Offered
- MS with an engineering emphasis or a science emphasis
All applicants must also submit the following:
- Online graduate degree application and application fee
- Transcripts from each college/university which you attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (2-3 pages) describing your reasons for pursuing graduate study, your career aspirations, your special interests within your field, and any unusual features of your background that might need explanation or be of interest to your program's admissions committee.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages)
- Official GRE scores
And, for international applicants:
- International Student Financial Statement form
- Official bank statement/proof of support
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic scores