The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Integrated Water Management is designed for engineers and environmental science graduates who want to develop and lead advanced and sustainable water management initiatives. Participants of the program will learn how to apply physical, chemical and biological unit operations and processes to water resources, and will become conversant with regulatory and environmental frameworks.
Water is a strategic resource, and access to clean and secure water is essential for human wellbeing. Demand for better water systems has resulted in the pressing need for people with the technical skills to develop practical solutions in areas that include water treatment, monitoring tools, information technologies, efficient water use and reuse, and novel biotechnologies.
The combination of technical expertise and leadership courses will help you to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects — a skill set that is highly relevant in today’s business environment. Graduates of this MEL degree will be able to apply the complex tool set of technical and leadership knowledge acquired in the program to a wide variety of private sector, institutional and government organizations involved with water use, treatment, research and protection.
The MEL is a 12-month degree starting in January. While 70 per cent of your Integrated Water Management courses will focus on your technical specialization, the remaining 30 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business. Please contact us if you would like to find out more about the MEL in Integrated Water Management.
It only takes 12 months to complete the program and get an MEL degree. Starting in January, in the Integrated Water Management program, you will:
MEL students are required to have professional experience before starting the program. That means you will be part of a mature student cohort with a variety of professional and career experiences to draw on when you collaborate on projects with one another. Access to this diversity of knowledge and experience is essential to your development.
Read some of our alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Integrated Water Management degree.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally by employers in industry and government seeking professionals who can develop and deliver sustainable water management initiatives. Read some of our alumni stories on our website to find out how our graduates have gone on to excel their careers with their UBC MEL in Integrated Water Management degree. Graduates of the program started in positions, such as Environmental EIT, Environmental Specialist, President & CEO.