This programme aims to provide suitably qualified you with the opportunity to develop a deep understanding of the field of media and communication at theoretical and practical levels. The programme is intended for graduates from the fields of media and communication, the social sciences, advertising and public relations, for individuals already working in the media and trying to gain a more profound understanding of their field, and for others who want to develop and extend the range of their theoretical and professional media skills. It is also a stepping stone for any individual wanting to pursue a PhD in the media and communication field.
You will graduate with a critical and theoretical knowledge of the contexts of communication studies in combination with the opportunity for developing practical skills in digital media production. These, combined with the strong English language skills that studying at XJTLU gives, produces students who will be very attractive employees for Chinese and international companies in an increasingly globalised workplace.
The programme will:
• give you an advanced critical understanding of key issues, concepts and theories and the relationship between theory and practice in the fields of media and communication
• instil in you a sound knowledge and understanding of media language and its iterations on different media platforms
• encourage your exploration of the implications of media analysis for work purposes
• help you develop an understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in media and communication practices
• encourage you to engage with theories underlying current views on communicative practices, including the importance of global and local media manifestations
• engage with and critically appreciate the connections made between theory and practice in the field of media and communication
• foster your research skills and techniques
• provide hands-on expertise through practical modules and a work placement
In addition, the programme provides an overview of the contemporary theoretical, methodological, practical and ethical principles that underpin research in the field of media and communication and develops your skills, knowledge and understanding further in the theory and practice of applied media work.
Students in this programme will study the following modules:
• Global Media Cultures
• Contemporary Media Theory
• Digital Ethics
• Social Media Management
• Contemporary Chinese Media Environment
• Research Methods in Communication
• Interactive and Emerging Technologies
• Advanced Public Relations and Advertising
• Practical Skills Development (audio/video, web design, print media)
Students will graduate with a combination of critical and theoretical knowledge of the contexts of communication studies in combination with the opportunity for developing practical skills in digital media production. These, combined with the strong English language skills that studying at XJTLU gives, produces students who will be very attractive employees in an increasingly globalised workplace, for Chinese and international companies.
The department has a digital media laboratory, featuring Apple iMac computers, Final Cut Pro X editing software and the Adobe suite of professional digital media production software, in addition to Sony high definition digital video production kits for short film-making, digital media and documentary production.