This programme will provide you with the opportunity to develop both a scholarly and practical understanding of the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). It is suitable for language teachers, teacher trainers, educational materials writers and test designers who wish to further develop their range of professional skills and knowledge.
The programme will help you:
• gain an advanced critical understanding of key issues, concepts and theories, and practices in the field of English language teaching
• acquire a sound knowledge and understanding of language and texts in the contexts in which they are used
• explore the implications of language analysis for teaching purposes
• develop understanding of current methodology as it is embodied in classroom practice
• engage with theories underlying current views on language learning, including the importance of individual differences amongst learners in their abilities and learning preferences
• appreciate and view critically the connections between theory and practice in the field of English language teaching
• foster the ability to conduct academic research
LINGUISTICS FOR LANGUAGE TEACHERS
METHODS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING
PRINCIPLES OF COURSE AND MATERIAL DESIGN
SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION
LANGUAGE TESTING AND ASSESSMENT
SPEAKING AND LISTENING RESEARCH METHODS
LEXIS AND VOCABULARY
TEACHING ENGLISH FOR SPECIFIC PURPOSES
What are my career prospects?
Graduates may pursue a career or enhance their prospects in the field of English language teaching. In China, a postgraduate qualification in TESOL is increasingly sought-after by educational institutions. The programme will facilitate the professional development of those candidates who are considering a career in publishing, materials development and management.
The programme will also equip those interested in pursuing an academic career in the field of English language teaching and applied linguistics by preparing them to conduct research competently at the level of the MPhil, MRes, EdD and PhD.
Part-time study option also available.