The MA Cinematography course builds essential and practical skills to prepare you for a role as Cinematographer/Director of Photography (DOP).
Cinematography is about understanding how to use camera and lighting techniques to tell a story, whether it is screened at the cinema, on TV, or through an iPhone. As technology continues to evolve at an ever increasing rate, the aim of this programme is about more than how to operate a particular piece of equipment – it’s about a deeper understanding of storytelling and the moving image to communicate something meaningful and entertaining to an audience.
- Through hands-on practical exercises, workshops, seminars, masterclasses and screenings you will gain the practical skills and knowledge required to work with cameras and lighting to industry standards and practices enabling you to demonstrate a range of industry-relevant skills upon graduation.
- Opportunities to gain wide range of skills across projects such as a short filmed project that you write and direct, Art Gallery field visits including the National Gallery, 35mm workshop and shooting exercise, location and night shooting with large sensor camera, greenscreen and VFX exercises, working collaboratively and learning the functions of each camera departmental role.
- Gain skills vital for look design and rushes management through creative and technical training in grading and processing software to enhance the visual aesthetics of your productions. Prepare for the world of VFX shooting with theory and practice in a range of techniques and experiences such as green screen shooting and VFX integration.
- You will get the chance to work as a director of photography alongside other MA students on short video content for external clients during the industry project, giving you the opportunity to further showcase your talents and build a competitive showreel.
- Learn from award-winning tutors with extensive professional experience as cinematographers, camera operators, focus pullers and gaffers in film, TV, documentary/factual programming and commercials. We’ve been recently visited by a legendary cinematographer Chung Chung-Hoon (Old Boy, Stoker, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl)