This is an exciting, contemporary programme targeted a professionals and practitioners working in the sport and leisure industry who are seeking new opportunities. The programme is equally attractive to recent graduates seeking to develop their knowledge and employment potential as well as international students who wish to study at Wales's premier university for sport.
Due to the popularity of the postgraduate sport programmes, please ensure you submit your application as early as possible. Programmes will be closed over the summer when full capacity is reached.
*Please note. This programme will undergo periodic review in March 2016. As such, module and pathway information may change. Refer back to this course page for the most up-to-date information at that point.
See the website https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/schoolofsport/courses/Pages/Sport-Management-and-Leadership.aspx
Drawing on management and leadership perspectives, the programme critically examines the sport and leisure industry, its environment ad current challenges. There is a clear focus on applied and experiential learning. This is achieved by drawing extensively on sports organisations operating across all sectors of the industry and on using external speakers who are experts in their field to bring real life issues and challenges into the classroom. A high quality experience is provided with teaching undertaken in small groups and an emphasis on interaction and group work.
All students study five core modules which embrace key management and leadership topics as well as research skills and developing a personal leadership plan. There is one option module and students can decide whether to undertake this or an alternative independent piece of work. Completion of the MA requires students to undertake a sustained project either a traditional dissertation or a Final Project. The 'live' Final Project is a further unique feature available to those with appropriate experience.
- Principles for Management and Leadership (20 credits): This is an introductory module that considers three principal themes: 1) management and leadership principles, 2) Overview of sport and sport policy in the UK, 3) governance arrangements for modern sports organisations.
- Leadership and Entrepreneurship (20 credits): This module focuses on developing an understanding of what leadership and entrepreneurship is and draws extensively on the experience of leaders working in sport and / or related fields.
- Organisational Strategy (20 credits): This introduces the concept of strategy and analyses the external and internal environment. Other features of the module include: marketing and brand management as a way of positioning an organisation; organisational change; stakeholders; culture and politics.
- Personal Skill and Leadership Development (20 credits): This module aims to focus on you as the student learner, your ability to be a reflective practitioner and identify your personal/professional needs. It also focuses on peer mentoring which has direct relevance to the cohort working together.
- Research Skills for Management and Leadership (20 credits): This module aims to hone students' understanding of research. It focuses on developing critical awareness and reading skills. It also considers the role of research as relevant to modern organisations.
Students have the choice of:
- Improving Business Performance (20 credits): This module develops a critical understanding of why organisations must consider organisational performance and what tools there are to assist in this process. Students are challenged to look at their own organisation and develop a critical approach to developing performance;
- Independent Choice (20 credits): This module provides students with the option of studying an area of particular interest. This may relate specifically to the sport environment (disability, community development, partnership) or it may relate specifically to a management/leadership subject area (finance, marketing, IT, etc).
On successful completion of the taught modules (above) students may undertake the Final Project (equivalent of 3 modules / 60 credits) that leads to the award of MA: Sport Management and Leadership.
Assessment varies from essays to presentations and plans with students critically evaluating and reflecting on specific issues. The contact teaching time for each 20 credit module is four days with some additional days allocated for induction and presentations.
Employability & Careers
The programme is directed towards employability both in terms of developing and enhancing the careers of those already working in the sport sector and preparing immediate graduates and those seeking a change in their career to be competitive in the employment market. There is an emphasis on developing personal management and leadership skills and we encourage students to work together to develop and hone these.
Find information on Scholarships here https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/scholarships
Find out how to apply here https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/howtoapply