The Research Master’s Latin American Studies at Leiden University is a unique and multi-disciplinary two-year programme, that focuses on the topic ‘Latin American Modernities: Resistance, Revival and Change’. It addresses cutting-edge debates around key social, cultural and historical themes in the Latin American and the Caribbean region.
Visit the website: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/latin-american-studies-research/en/introduction
The appearance of multiple modernities in Latin America is rooted in historical and ongoing experiences and traumas of colonialism, nation building, and the neoliberal trend across the different countries of the region. These modernities are visible in the identities and cultural manifestations of Latin Americans.
You will study the different forms through which modernity is imagined and implemented in Latin America. During the programme you will deepen your knowledge on diverse current issues in the field of modern history and literature, as well as in the social sciences, ethnographic and discourse analysis methods.
During the programme you will focus on culture and identity, state-society relations and literature, arts and media. This research master’s trains you to take a critical view of developments in these fields of study.
Why choose Latin American (research) at Leiden University?
- Join us in an international environment with staff members and students from all over the world, including Latin America and Europe.
Learn from a dedicated team of active researchers in the field of Latin American Studies, who provide constant support throughout the programme.
- Carry out your own research project on Latin American Modernities in a country of your choice. Staff members of the programme are in close contact with different universities and research institutes throughout the region.
- Acquire an outstanding qualification and the foundation for a wide range of future careers or carry out further research work on a PhD programme.
- Benefit from the broad network of active contacts throughout Latin America, established by our staff members.
- Immerse yourself in the current reality of Latin America through Spanish-taught lectures. A substantial part of the programme is taught in Spanish, while some courses can be in English. You can choose to write your papers and thesis in Spanish, English or Portuguese.
Upon graduation, you will be well-equipped for conducting independent research at a high academic level. As a graduate of a two-year research master’s degree you are qualified to work as a junior academic researcher in an academic environment or carry out further research work on a PhD programme. However, there are various other highly-rewarding career options available.
The experience and knowledge you acquire carrying out independent research in the area makes you an attractive candidate for a position at specialised state agencies, ministries, development organisations, NGOs, European companies which operate in Latin America or the Caribbean, or as a junior lecturer at any of the universities that provide related programmes.
Positions you could hold after your studies:
- Communication specialist at Driscoll’s, an international concern dealing in fruit
- Teacher of Spanish at a university of professional education
- Freelance fundraiser/client relationship manager
- HR Management Trainee for Unilever
- Mobility Consultant at Crown Worldwide, an international removals company
- Project Officer at the Expertise Centre for Literary Translations
- Sales Manager for a travel agency
- Translator/administrative officer at an embassy
- Supervisor, South America Team at Riksja Travel, a travel agency
- Economic Policy Officer at the Dutch Embassy in Brazil
How to apply: http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/arrange/admission
For information regarding funding, please visit the website: http://prospectivestudents.leiden.edu/scholarships